Have you ever seen a green flash sunset?

In summary, the continental guests expressed their desire to witness a maritieme sunset, and they did not complain about our efforts to fulfill such. The sunset was exceptionally brilliant, and you could not look directly in the sun for a long time. We have touchdown, and the last few images in sequence, we all saw the last rays of the sun clearly turn green, however the camera had other ideas (live size crops). The last picture turned out to be a winner.
Andre
So our continental guests expressed the desire to witness a maritieme sunset. And they certainly did not complain about our efforts to forfill such.

This is what you only can hope for

2uyk275.jpg

The sunset was exceptionally brilliant, you could not look directly in the sun for a long time

fuyl1z.jpg

We have touchdown

espx5g.jpg

The last few images in sequence, we all saw the last rays of the sun clearly turn green, however the camera had other ideas (live size crops)

1zw0ufb.jpg

Enjoy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Andre said:
fuyl1z.jpg

This is kind of sea water skiers dream about :tongue2:

But I like the first one most.

I've seen plenty of first class sunsets in Aruba. However, I have never seen the green flash. I had assumed that you needed special equipment to see it. However your story indicates that I was wrong about that. I'm still looking forward to that pleasure.

Those look fantastic. I think the sailboat one is my favorite too. Thanks.

And now, Andre, can you capture a full moon? With bats or birds fluttering across it for effect. :-p

Andre said:
So our continental guests expressed the desire to witness a maritieme sunset. And they certainly did not complain about our efforts to forfill such.

This is what you only can hope for

2uyk275.jpg

I see a photo contest entry here. Very nice Andre.

Nilequeen, here is your full moon but the bats need a bit of work.

Don, Excellent perception, yes it's entered here as pristine work without any post processing.

Nice sequence, Andre.

Just lovely, wish I was there.

Andre said:
Nilequeen, here is your full moon but the bats need a bit of work.

Nice one Andre. I wonder why there are all those radial lines from what appears to
be a crater at the bottom of the picture.

I guess there is a lot of speculation going on about that crater.

Anyway back on topic, here is a sort of HDR version of the sailboat, not that natural anymore but the sea is a bit more visible.

2w5niqe.jpg

We had cloudless skies last night, here's a couple shots as the sun dissapeared: all hail Roy G. Biv!

[PLAIN]http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2824/dsc8043b.jpg

[PLAIN]http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5932/dsc8044p.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
But at least the weather was nice :smile:

Anyway, the first picture turned out to be a winner.

Andre said:
Anyway, the first picture turned out to be a winner.

congrats!

What kind of camera are you using Andre?

مبروك!

:smile:

Andy Resnick said:
congrats!

Thanks, Andy

Pythagorean said:
What kind of camera are you using Andre?

Same as Borek, a Canon EOS 7D, but essentially the same results are possible with a EOS 550D, 600D or 60D, all using the same sensor. It get's different though if you go for highly dynamic, fast action shots

drizzle said:
مبروك!

:smile:

شكرا لك يا حبيبي! :biggrin:

1. What is a green flash sunset?

A green flash sunset is a phenomenon that occurs just before the sun disappears below the horizon during a sunset. It appears as a green flash of light that lasts for only a few seconds.

2. What causes the green flash in a sunset?

The green flash is caused by the refraction of sunlight as it passes through the Earth's atmosphere. The atmosphere acts as a prism, separating the different colors of light. The green light is bent more than the other colors, causing it to appear at the top of the sun just before it sets.

3. When is the best time to see a green flash sunset?

The best time to see a green flash sunset is when the atmosphere is clear and there is a low humidity level. This typically happens during the winter months when the air is dry and there are fewer clouds in the sky.

4. Where is the best location to view a green flash sunset?

The best location to view a green flash sunset is on a clear horizon, such as a beach or a large body of water. This allows for an unobstructed view of the sunset and increases the chances of seeing the green flash.

5. Is it rare to see a green flash sunset?

While not necessarily rare, seeing a green flash sunset can be considered a special event as it requires specific atmospheric conditions and clear visibility. It also only lasts for a few seconds, making it a unique and memorable experience.