Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green Function Question

1. Jan 23, 2007 #1
    Hey,

I am trying to find a GF for the function:

[tex] y''+\frac{1}{24}y=f(x)[/tex]

The function is bounded by:

[tex]y(0)=y(\pi)=0[/tex]

I have followed a math textbook that goes through the exact process for the function:

[tex] y''+k^2y=f(x)[/tex]

and have found a nice looking general solution:

[tex]G(x,x')=-\frac{sin(x/4)sin(\frac{1}{4}[\pi-x'])}{\frac{1}{4}sin(\pi/4)}[/tex]

for x<x'

and

[tex]G(x,x')=-\frac{sin(x'/4)sin(\frac{1}{4}[\pi-x])}{\frac{1}{4}sin(\pi/4)}[/tex]

for x>x'

Now, here is my problem:

I need to find y(x) for f(x)=sin(x)

This sounds easy right, just use the Green function, multiply by f(x) and integrate over the boundary 0 to pi.

The problem is that the integral only converges for k^2 is some integer.
    For non integer k^2 it seems to diverge...not good as I have k^2=1/24

I was just wandering if anyone has any suggestions????

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2007 #2

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I...I don't see how can diverge. It's a multiplication of trigonometric functions isn't it?. How can that integral diverge?.

4. Jan 23, 2007 #3
    hmmmmm....maybe its just my formula table....but when you integrate there is a factor of nx on the denominator and when you plug in the limits the zero gives you infinty.

5. Jan 23, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What formula is that? If you are integrating sin(x/4)f(x), you certainly won't get any "x" in the denominator from the sine!

6. Jan 23, 2007 #5
    Sorry, I figured it now...you are right. I carried an x' through into the denominator, but it should only have been the coefficient of x. That was the origin of the infinity. Thanks, for your assistance!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?