Finding a Green Function for y''+1/24y=f(x) with Bounded Conditions | Math Help

In summary, the conversation is about finding a Green function for a function y''+\frac{1}{24}y=f(x), which is bounded by y(0)=y(\pi)=0. The problem is that the integral only converges for k^2 as some integer, not for non-integer values such as k^2=1/24. The person asking for help is wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
tomboy67
Hey,

I am trying to find a GF for the function:

[tex] y''+\frac{1}{24}y=f(x)[/tex]

The function is bounded by:

[tex]y(0)=y(\pi)=0[/tex]

I have followed a math textbook that goes through the exact process for the function:

[tex] y''+k^2y=f(x)[/tex]

and have found a nice looking general solution:

[tex]G(x,x')=-\frac{sin(x/4)sin(\frac{1}{4}[\pi-x'])}{\frac{1}{4}sin(\pi/4)}[/tex]

for x<x'

and

[tex]G(x,x')=-\frac{sin(x'/4)sin(\frac{1}{4}[\pi-x])}{\frac{1}{4}sin(\pi/4)}[/tex]

for x>x'

Now, here is my problem:

I need to find y(x) for f(x)=sin(x)

This sounds easy right, just use the Green function, multiply by f(x) and integrate over the boundary 0 to pi.

The problem is that the integral only converges for k^2 is some integer.
For non integer k^2 it seems to diverge...not good as I have k^2=1/24

I was just wandering if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I...I don't see how can diverge. It's a multiplication of trigonometric functions isn't it?. How can that integral diverge?.

hmmmmm...maybe its just my formula table...but when you integrate there is a factor of nx on the denominator and when you plug in the limits the zero gives you infinty.

What formula is that? If you are integrating sin(x/4)f(x), you certainly won't get any "x" in the denominator from the sine!

Sorry, I figured it now...you are right. I carried an x' through into the denominator, but it should only have been the coefficient of x. That was the origin of the infinity. Thanks, for your assistance!

1. What is a Green Function?

A Green Function, also known as a Green's Function, is a mathematical concept used in the study of differential equations. It is a special function that helps find the solution to a given differential equation with a specified set of boundary conditions.

2. How is a Green Function used in physics?

In physics, Green Functions are used to solve problems related to wave propagation, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the study of electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

3. What is the significance of the name "Green" Function?

The name "Green" Function comes from the mathematician George Green, who first introduced the concept in his work on potential theory in the 1830s. The name stuck and is now commonly used in mathematics and physics.

4. Can a Green Function be visualized graphically?

Yes, a Green Function can be represented graphically as a function of two variables, typically time and distance. It can also be visualized as a three-dimensional surface plot, where the height of the surface represents the value of the function at a specific point.

5. Are there different types of Green Functions?

Yes, there are different types of Green Functions, such as the free-space Green Function, the half-space Green Function, and the layered Green Function. Each type is used for different types of boundary conditions and physical systems.