1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green function

1. Mar 30, 2007 #1
    The zero order bessel function J0(0+) = 1, J'0(0+) = 0. and J0(t) satisfies teh differential equation

2. ty''(t) + y'(t) + ty(t) = 0, t>0
    Prove thata the Laplace transform of J0(t) is 1/(s + 1)^1/2

3. The attempt at a solution

Could anyone help on this. How to I go about with the question. Tried using a general solution that is J(t) = C1e^r1t + C2e^r2t..But im not sure if that right... I wasn't able to prove...Thx
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2007 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not start by finding the Laplace transform of your DE?

4. Mar 30, 2007 #3
    thx for replying...But how do I find the Laplace transform of the differential equation? Do i convert it to general solution J(t) = C1e^r1t + C2e^r2t. Is that right? Because i tried using that general equation and found two values of t and substituted in the general equation and solve simultaneously..but still wasn't able to prove...

5. Mar 30, 2007 #4
    I've found websites and even read books. It all says the same thing about bessel equation having a general solution. http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/solutions/ode/ode0213.pdf
    But what i dont get is that the in the general solution what is my v in my DE. I dont see any relationship. I am so confused..

6. Mar 31, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you are working with Bessel functions and Green's functions (you titled this "Green function" but I don't see anything in the problem that has anything to do with Green's function) then you should have learned long ago that functions of the form [itex]C_1e^{r_1t}+ C_2e^{r_2t}[/itex] satisfy linear equations with constant coefficients. Bessel's equation, the equation you are given, obviously does NOT have integer coefficients. You are not expected to "find" a solution, you are expected to find the Laplace transform of the differential equation.

Do you know how to find the Laplace transform of something like f(x) dy/dx in terms of the Laplace transform of y?

7. Mar 31, 2007 #6
    I am not quite sure but is the Lapalce transform of f(x) dy/dx is sY(s) - Yo and the laplace transform of d2y/dx2 is s2Y(s) - sY0 - Y1.

If I am wrong. Please kindly correct me and if you could kindly give me some hints to go about with the question. Thx

8. Mar 31, 2007 #7
    ty''(t) + y'(t) + ty(t) = 0
    Divide the equation by t gives

y''(t) + 1/ty'(t) + ty(t) = 0

Using Laplace Transform it gives

s2*Y - s*y0 - y1 + 1/t*(S*Y - y0) + t*Y = 0

(s2 + 1/t*s + t)*Y - s - 1/t = 0

so now Y = (s = 1/t)/(s2 + 1/t*s + t)

but i still cant prove the equation.....:(

9. Apr 1, 2007 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The Laplace transform of tf(t) is NOT t times the Laplace transform of f(t)!

10. Apr 1, 2007 #9
    oh there was an error

ty''(t) + y'(t) + ty(t) = 0
    Divide the equation by t gives

y''(t) + 1/t*y'(t) + y(t) = 0

Using Laplace Transform it gives

s2*Y - s*y0 - y1 + 1/t*(s*Y - y0) + Y = 0

(s2 + 1/t*s + 1)*Y - s - 1/t = 0

so now Y = (s + 1/t)/(s2 + 1/t*s + 1)

I have tried completing the square but it doesnt help.....Is my Y correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?