Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green laser beam

1. Apr 14, 2006 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A few months back there was a thread with a pic of a visible beam being emitted by a green laser pointer. There was some discussion as to whether or not it was a photochop. Here is a pic I took of "my" green beam laser. I am not at liberty to say a lot about this laser, but it is 1064nm and on the order of 10W beam power.

[​IMG]

The laser is on the right, to the left is a power meter, the green light illuminating the laser is diffuse scattering from the power meter. In the for ground is a pin diode being used to monitor the laser pulses.

Yes the green streak across the center is the beam. I did not use any smoke or beam detection material, this is just air.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2006 #2

dav2008

Gold Member

I don't know much about lasers but if green light is around 500nm and your laser is 1064, why does it appear green?

4. Apr 14, 2006 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh my god you are correct. 1064 is the fundamental our beam is 532nm! Silly mistake on my part. :blushing:

5. Apr 14, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would think 1064 nm would be well out of the visible range. :confused:

Bleh...nevermind...I see that Integral answered while I was typing. :rolleyes:

6. Apr 14, 2006 #5
    I hope you don't get in trouble about posting a picture of it. Did your lab approve the use of your photo? I know where I work, photographs are prohibited (You will be terminated if you violate this rule). You have to get it cleared before it's allowed to see the light of day outside the company grounds. Even if its a photo of something trivial like a soda machine.

7. Apr 14, 2006 #6

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

8. Apr 14, 2006 #7
    My 1/2-W frequency-doubled laser pointer does the same thing - and it fits in the palm of my hand! Then it overheated and burned my thumb. Oh well.

9. Apr 14, 2006 #8
    ThinkGeek sells a green laser pointer (I have one...very cool) with lots of neat photos submitted by owners showing the beam. The green light is easily visible and readily illuminates any particles in the air. Hardly any need to photoshop the image.

10. Apr 15, 2006 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, Cyrus, I disscussed this with the engineer before posting.

11. Apr 15, 2006 #10
    Still a cool picture though, got any more of the experiment you can share? Or anything about the experiment itself that does not include the specifics of the laser?

One guy at work was using a laser to measure deflections caused by impluses on a thin metal flexure for a micro propulsion. It was an interferometer setup, but that does not appear to be what your laser is doing.

I was just asking because one time I almost made that mistake myself :frown:.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  12. Apr 15, 2006 #11

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was simply fingerprinting laser performance. Power, pulse width, beam profile, power stability etc. Just baseline performance sort of stuff, nothing exciting.

13. Apr 15, 2006 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I would imagine it's a Nd:YAG, Nd:YVO4 laser.

10W beam power is pretty impressive. Like a V10.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?