Finding Green Light Wavelengths for Dissertation

In summary: You might want to look into LED's, there are several different kinds that emit in the green range. You could also look into purchasing an ultraviolet light to narrow down the wavelength.
Ballo
Hi sorry if this is very basic, I am an animal final year student and have come across a problem for my dissertation. I am looking at wavelength of light. Now the question, is a green bulb purely giving off green light, ie if it more blue green is it giving of predonimantly light of around 500 nm where as 560 nm equals a darker green. I need as close to 520-560 as possible while excluding as much as possible of other wavelengths. I thank you for your help in advance

Science news on Phys.org
Ballo said:
Hi sorry if this is very basic, I am an animal final year student and have come across a problem for my dissertation. I am looking at wavelength of light. Now the question, is a green bulb purely giving off green light, ie if it more blue green is it giving of predonimantly light of around 500 nm where as 560 nm equals a darker green. I need as close to 520-560 as possible while excluding as much as possible of other wavelengths. I thank you for your help in advance

There is no way to answer this since you have not provided more info on your "green bulb". We have no way of knowing the specs of the light source. Did you buy something off the shelf at a hardware store, or is this a $10,000 piece of light source with a monochrometer?

Pass the light through a spectrometer and look at the spread in wavelength. That should tell you off the bat the bandwidth.

Zz.

You will need to test the bulb in question, either using your own spectrometer, or from the manufacturer's specifications. You may also want to look into LED's, there are several different kinds that emit in the green range. But with the narrow band you want I suspect that you would need some heavy filters even with a green LED.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I don't have a spectrometer and was hoping for an off the shelf answer as I am on a very limited budget. Would photographers do a filter that could narrow down enough or is there any other answer, even a paint that could be put on a bulb. I was hoping it would be as easy as an ultra violet light to purchase. I know it all a bit vague but I can't go into to much detail without giving the game away.

Manufacturuers don't tend to put much detail on the bulb.

What is the importance of finding green light wavelengths for a dissertation?

Finding green light wavelengths for a dissertation is important because it allows for the study of specific light wavelengths and their effects on various organisms, processes, and materials. This can provide valuable insights into the mechanisms and functions of light in the natural world, as well as potential applications in fields such as agriculture, medicine, and technology.

How do scientists determine the green light wavelengths to study in their dissertations?

Scientists determine the green light wavelengths to study in their dissertations through a variety of methods, such as using specialized equipment to isolate and measure specific wavelengths, conducting experiments to observe the effects of different wavelengths on a particular subject, or analyzing existing data and literature on green light wavelengths.

What are some potential benefits of studying green light wavelengths in a dissertation?

Studying green light wavelengths in a dissertation can have numerous benefits, including expanding our understanding of light and its impact on living organisms and processes, identifying potential uses for green light in various industries, and contributing to the overall body of scientific knowledge in this area.

How does the study of green light wavelengths relate to other fields of study?

The study of green light wavelengths has implications for various fields of study, such as biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering. For example, understanding how green light affects plant growth and photosynthesis can inform agricultural practices, while studying the properties of green light can have applications in the development of new technologies.

What are some challenges that scientists may face when studying green light wavelengths for a dissertation?

Some challenges that scientists may face when studying green light wavelengths for a dissertation include the complexity of light and its interactions with different materials and organisms, the need for specialized equipment and techniques, and the potential for conflicting or inconclusive results. Additionally, there may be limitations in funding and resources available for research in this area.