What is the speed of the car when it overtakes the truck and how far does it travel in 10 seconds?

In summary: To solve the problem, you have to pretend that the point where they are at the same position is the point where the car overtakes the truck. But I think I know what you're thinking... that until the body of the car passes the front of the truck, it hasn't really overtaken it. If that's what you think, good for you! But since you have no idea how big the car is, you have to pretend they are points! :smile: (And get used to problems being poorly worded.)In any case, why x = 11? (Do you mean t = 11?) That's just a guess--never a good idea
courtrigrad
At the instant the traffic light turns green, an automobile starts with a constant acceleration [itex] a_{x} [/itex] of 6.0 [itex] \frac{ft}{sec^{2}} [/itex]. At the same instant, a truck traveling with a constant speed of 30 [itex] \frac{ft}{sec} [/itex], overtakes and passes the automobile. (a) How far beyond the starting point will the automobile overtake the truck? (b) How fast will the car be traveling at that instant?

(a) So as time increases the speed of the first car increases while the speed of the second car stays constant. After five seconds the first car is 186 feet from the starting line while the second car is 150 feet from the starting line. Is this correct?
(b) Would the car be traveling 96 ft/sec?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
courtrigrad said:
(a) So as time increases the speed of the first car increases while the speed of the second car stays constant.
True.
After five seconds the first car is 186 feet from the starting line
How did you conclude this?
while the second car is 150 feet from the starting line.
Right.

Approach this problem systematically. Can you write equations that describe:
(1) The position of the car (from the starting point) as a function of time?
(2) The position of the truck (from that same point) as a function of time?​

You can set the final positions equal to each other to find the time when the car overtakes the truck. Then you can use that time to find the distance and speed of the car at that point.

Ok so I can use [itex] x = x_{0} + v_{x}_{0}t + \frac{1}{2}a_{x}t^{2} [/itex] or [itex] x = 3t^{2} [/itex] (acceleration) and [itex] x = x_{0} + \frac{1}{2}(v_{x}_{0}+v_{x})t [/itex] or [itex] x = 30t [/itex]. So [itex] t = 10 [/itex]. So the car would be 363 feet from starting line traveling at 66 ft/sec.

Is this correct?

Last edited:
I'm afraid not :(
What did you get for the time ?

Sorry - you got 10 s - that's correct.
So what is the distance traveled ??

363 feet for car and 330 feet for truck

you have x = 3t²

if t = 10 then x = 3*10² = 3*100 = 300 ft.

courtrigrad said:
Ok so I can use [itex] x = x_{0} + v_{x}_{0}t + \frac{1}{2}a_{x}t^{2} [/itex] or [itex] x = 3t^{2} [/itex] (acceleration)
Exactly right for the car.
and [itex] x = x_{0} + \frac{1}{2}(v_{x}_{0}+v_{x})t [/itex] or [itex] x = 30t [/itex].
No need to find the average speed of the truck, since its speed is constant. But correct nonetheless.
So [itex] t = 10 [/itex].
Right.

Realize that you found the time by setting the distances equal; so if you calculate different distances for car and truck--something must be wrong!

So the car would be 363 feet from starting line traveling at 66 ft/sec.
But the car starts from rest, not at 66 ft/sec. (That's why [itex] x = 3t^{2} [/itex]; the initial speed is zero.)

Last edited:
Realize that you found the time by setting the distances equal; so if you calculate different distances for car and truck--something must be wrong!
no but don't you have to go to x = 11? Because at x = 10, the two vehicles are at the same position. The question asked the distance from the starting line when the car overtakes the truck.

is this corrrect?

thanks

Last edited:
the two vehicles are at the same position at x = 0. This is where the traffic lights are, i.e the starting line.

How did you get x = 10, or 11?

I meant t = 11

courtrigrad said:
no but don't you have to go to x = 11? Because at x = 10, the two vehicles are at the same position. The question asked the distance from the starting line when the car overtakes the truck.
To solve the problem, you have to pretend that the point where they are at the same position is the point where the car overtakes the truck.

But I think I know what you're thinking... that until the body of the car passes the front of the truck, it hasn't really overtaken it. If that's what you think, good for you! But since you have no idea how big the car is, you have to pretend they are points! :smile: (And get used to problems being poorly worded.)

In any case, why x = 11? (Do you mean t = 11?) That's just a guess--never a good idea.

I used [itex] v_{x}^{2} = v_{x}_{0}^{2} + 2a_{x}(x-x_{0}) [/itex] and [itex] v_{x} = 66 ft/sec [/itex]

Find the speed that the car is traveling at the moment it passes the truck. (Which is at t = 10 sec, not t =11.) And recalculate the distances as Fermat suggests.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of "overtaking" in the context of this question?

Overtaking refers to the act of one vehicle passing another vehicle on the same road, usually in the same direction.

2. How is the speed of the car when it overtakes the truck calculated?

The speed of the car when it overtakes the truck is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to cover that distance. This can be expressed as speed (in miles per hour) = distance (in miles) / time (in hours).

3. Is the speed of the car constant during the overtaking process?

No, the speed of the car may vary during the overtaking process depending on road conditions, traffic, and other factors.

4. What factors can affect the distance the car travels in 10 seconds during the overtaking process?

The distance the car travels in 10 seconds during the overtaking process can be affected by the initial speed of the car, the acceleration or deceleration of the car, the length of the truck being overtaken, and any obstacles or traffic that may impede the car's progress.

5. How accurate is the calculation of the distance traveled in 10 seconds during the overtaking process?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the precision of the measurements and the consistency of the car's speed during the overtaking process. Factors such as changing road conditions and traffic can also affect the accuracy of the calculation.