Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green Meteor

1. Jul 1, 2009 #1
    Hello, I have a question for the astronomy people here. Last night I was outside around 10 P.M, and at one point I just happened to be staring up into the western sky when I saw one of the brightest, most beautiful meteors I have ever seen. The weird thing is that it had a faint green tint to it. Does anyone have any idea as to what would cause this? I’m positive it was not a firework, it was way too high in the sky and way too bright. Plus, there was nobody in the vicinity shooting off fireworks, and there was absolutely no sound associated with it.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

It may have been a meteor, and it might have been one of the many thousands of pieces of space junk burning up on re-entry. There are organizations that track the space junk, and perhaps one of them could confirm that an objected de-orbited last night. Maybe a Google search would help.....?

4. Jul 1, 2009 #3
    I saw a very bright green fireball
    I as at a football game in the orange bowl
    it was that bright to be seen over the stadium lights
    and was widely reported in newspapers on the east coast in many states

I have also seen a blue one

metal content is thought to give colors

5. Jul 1, 2009 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

Probably a lot of copper in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook