1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green Pea Discharge

1. Aug 13, 2006 #1
    I dont have a clue on where to start this as i dont know what other figures to use.

Dry air will break down and generate a spark if the electric field exceeds 3x106N/C. How much charge could be packed onto a green pea (diameter 0.75cm) before the pea spontaneously discharges?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a quaestion about capacitance. You need to find how the capacitance of a single object (as opposed to parallel plates) is related to its surface area.

4. Aug 13, 2006 #3
    any further help on this?

5. Aug 13, 2006 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you have a textbook?

6. Aug 13, 2006 #5
    no i dont,could you possible give me the equation?

7. Aug 13, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One has to calculate the charge that yields an electric field of 3x106 N/C on a sphere of diameter 0.75 cm.

Then one should know the equation for the electric field at the surface of a sphere. This is an application of Gauss's Law. See - hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/elesph.html (unfortunately site is down at the moment).

Also -
    http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/PY106/Electricfield.html (toward bottom of page),

Worked example 4: Electric field of a uniformly charged sphere
    http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/302l/lectures/node18.html

8. Aug 13, 2006 #7
    thank you for your help,are you any good with biology equations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?