Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green pond

1. Jul 24, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How do I treat a goldfish pond green with algae? Visibility is ~2 inches. It's not the wall coating I'm concerned about, it's the water itself.

I know how I'd treat it indoors - with a scraper and a water change, but that won't work in a pond. (Well, I suppose a water change would help...)

Currently, I've replaced the bacterial sponge in the pump with cotton batting for a finer filtering.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

It wouldn't hurt to stock in a few algae-eating fish.

4. Jul 24, 2006 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That had occurred to me. Anyone know what algae-eaters are cold-water? I wouldn't want to put any tropicals in there...

I s'pose they'll know at the store.

5. Jul 24, 2006 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have had really good luck in my pond with the addition of water hyacinth and water lettuce. It takes care of the algae pretty well. I don't have fish though, so I'm not sure how well it would work with the increased nitrogen etc...

6. Jul 24, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Here's a site that might help. It deals primarily with aquariums, but some of it might be applicable to your situation. The fish idea might have been a tad optimistic. I didn't actually read the thing.
    http://www.aquariumfish.net/information/green_water.htm

7. Jul 24, 2006 #6
    I don't really know, but I'd suspect the chemical environment favors algae somehow, perhaps too much nitrates or phosphates. You can test for those really easily, but I admit I have no idea what you'd do about it. In a closed aquarium you'd just dilute the water regularly to keep the concetration down.

8. Jul 24, 2006 #7
    The local restaurant here in my hometown just recently had the same problem and they used some sort of algeacide to get rid of it. It took about a week to take effect because they had to put it in slowly so it wouldn't kill the fish. I go to the restaurant everyday and if you don't find a solution to the problem you can send me a private message and I will find out the name brand of the chemical they used. You may also want to check with local landscapers and garden shops to see if the carry algeacides for goldfish ponds
    RAD

9. Jul 24, 2006 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I wouldst avoid chemical solutions.

I have done a 30% water change and put some microbial filter paper in the filter. I'll continue until clear.

I have not been treating my pond like an outdoor aquarium. I thought they were somewhat more self-sustaining than aquaria.

10. Jul 24, 2006 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yep, the problem is surely a high concentration of nitrates.

The test for high nitrates is ... the presence of excessive algae. :biggrin:

11. Jul 24, 2006 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  12. Jul 24, 2006 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Why would Google be my first choice - when I've got me a community here that can give me advice on anything under the sun I care to ask about? :rolleyes:

But thanks.

[EDIT] Actually, those are really good links :redface: :redface: . Thanks!

(I'll use some of those methods. Too bad I can't put any plants in my pond, as they'll just serve as appetizers for the coons.)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  13. Jul 24, 2006 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hope they help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?