Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green,s inverse problem

1. Feb 16, 2005 #1
    we all know that given a differential equation Ly=a0(x)y+a1(x)Dy+a2(x)D^2y=0 with Dy=dy/dx we can construct a Green function so LG(x,s)=d(x-s) being d the delta function.

My question is this given the G(x,s) could we construct the L so LG(x,s)=d(x-s) could someone provide an example of how to obtain?..thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT:Fourier transformed of the Green function coincides with the inverse of the Fourier transformed of the LINEAR differential operator...

Daniel.

P.S.Think aboout Poisson's equation for an infinite domain.

4. Feb 17, 2005 #3
    You mean F[G(x,s)]=1/F[L(y)] so then F^-1[1/G(x,s)]=L(y) does the same happen with the Laplace transform?....

5. Feb 17, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've never used Green functions and Laplace transforms...I told you what i knew...Maybe someone else could enlighten you more.

What i do know is that Cauchy problems in LINEAR ode's are dealt nicely by Laplace transform...But i don't recall some Green functions having been used...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?