Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green Stars?

1. Aug 21, 2010 #1
    I was out in my backyard performing some astronomic observations for azimuth and latitude and was treated to a few of the recent meteors. I have seen a few different colored ones and it got me to wondering. I have heard of red, blue, white and other colored stars, but don't ever remember hearing about a green one.
    So, are there any green stars?
    And what other colors are missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2010 #2
    The color of stars are mostly just red white/yellow and blue; this is because they're very rough classes referring to the temperature (and therefore peak luminosity of the stars). Cold stars are red, moderate - white/yellow, and hot - blue. All of these stars appear fairly white (yellow with atmospheric effects) when looking at the entire visible band.

4. Aug 21, 2010 #3

turbo

Gold Member

There are stars that are pretty green, but star colors are most evident in subjective comparisons, star-to-star. Loose clusters are great for this. The double cluster is a nice place to browse with a decent 'scope to identify various colors. One decent example of subjective color-perception is Alberio. The pairing of gold and blue stars is fairly striking when you see them together - either alone would be less remarkable.

5. Aug 22, 2010 #4
  6. Aug 22, 2010 #5
    The post is mostly accurate but a tiny bit misleading. You Do not need only green light to perceive the color green; you just need more green light than what is available from a blackbody radiator.

A great example of a natural spectrum that closely mimics the solar blackbody emission but looks very green is the sulpher plasma.

7. Aug 22, 2010 #6
    Thank you gentlemen,
    If the kids ever ask, I'll have this one covered.
    Dad is looking smarter all the time.
    ...except to the wife, of course...

8. Aug 22, 2010 #7
    There are also Orange stars such as Betelgeuse, Antares, Aldebaran, Arcturus and Pollux, all of which are clearly of orange or red hue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook