Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green tea blues

1. May 10, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.hsrmagazine.com/hotnews/65h101448772375.html

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Considering this has been plastered all over the internet today, I'm thinking the petitioner is likely sorry they asked. Better to let rumors run around that there might be a health benefit than a news story all over the internet informing your customers that it's a bunch of bunk. :rofl: At least they didn't come out with some finding that it's unhealthy or harmful, so if you like it, no reason to stop drinking it.

4. May 29, 2006 #3
  5. May 29, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The FDA doesn't do the studies, they only review the evidence provided by the person filing for the claim. This means that the person who wanted to make the health claim couldn't provide enough evidence to support their own claim. It seems to be in vogue to cast aspersions on the FDA, but I've actually been involved in research conducted for an FDA application, and part of the application process, and while there is certainly a lot of paperwork, and they are very nitpicky, I thought their nitpicking was well-placed and ensured the experiments and analysis were done meticulously enough that you could trust the results and conclusions drawn. It's not the vast conspiracy people like to claim it is.

Also, note that this rejection is specifically for the claim of benefits in protecting against cardiovascular disease. It does not support or deny any other claims of health benefits, which may or may not actually exist, and may or may not be filed as separate claims. You wouldn't file them all in one application, but as separate applications.

Also, even if specific compounds in green tea, when extracted and concentrated, can provide some sort of health benefit or have a medicinal property, that doesn't mean it would be in any way effective in the doses you'd get from a cup of tea, which would have to be demonstrated to the FDA if you wanted to claim health benefits of green tea. You have to show that your claims hold up at the doses you are providing of whatever compound you're testing. You have to demonstrate both safety AND efficacy to FDA to get approval. Just one or the other is not sufficient.

6. Jun 9, 2006 #5
    It's interesting to hear your take on this, Moonbear, from your having participated in an FDA investigation. I've pretty much only heard negative things when I hear them at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?