Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green tea

1. Aug 16, 2005 #1
    has science found any documented proof that drinking green tea every day has health benefits for you? If so what are they?

~Kitty

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Guy de Maupassant wrote a chilling ghost-story called "Green Tea".
    Apart from that, I don't know anything about green tea.

(Sorry for being facetious, misskitty, but I loved the story so much when I read it years ago. Wonder if it is still as good..?

4. Aug 16, 2005 #3
    Its ok. I don't mind. If you can't laugh in life what good is living? :biggrin:

~Kitty

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  5. Aug 16, 2005 #4
  6. Aug 16, 2005 #5
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15629234

7. Aug 16, 2005 #6
    Wow. :bugeye: I guess it is a good thing I drink green tea then. Does anyone care to speculate as to the motivations for such extensive research on this tea?

~Kitty

8. Aug 16, 2005 #7
    there is alot of money in researching natural products for the treatment of disease, especially cancer and heart disease. it isn't too hard to get a grant from NIH or AHA to HPLC natural products and then test them in cell culture - in fact there is a lab at NIH that can screen compounds against hundreds of cell lines for a hefty fee.

from a research perspective, it can also be quite fruitful since nature has done all of the hard work in making the natural products. (i know someone working in this area right now, who has an anticancer drug - isolated from a marine organism - in clinical trials).

resveratrol (from red wine) was at one time considered a potential life-extending drug - i don't know if further studies have validated that.

9. Aug 17, 2005 #8
    I do know that the componates of red wine are good for your heart and something else. I can't recall off the top of my head.

It only makes sense there should be a natural way to cure these diseases. After all, nature did create them. It made an antidote somewhere. :wink:

~Kitty

10. Aug 17, 2005 #9

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

good to know! i drink green tea regularly, and red wine frequently (when i am unpregnant of course), so my family tendency of heart disease can be possibly counteracted with these two great drinks.

11. Aug 17, 2005 #10
    This is very true. Luckily my fiance has a thing for red wine. He also has a long family history of heart disease. Perhaps green tea in the morning and a glass of red wine with dinner have similar benefits for him. :wink:

Good to hear from you Kerrie. I haven't talked with you in a while. :smile:

~Kitty

12. Aug 17, 2005 #11

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Aug 17, 2005 #12
    No problem. I used to just eat the leaves. Now I take it in pills. Another option I have used: BAC has extracts of green tea in inexpensive powder form.
    easycart.net/BeyondACenturyInc./Herbals_F-J.html#8290

14. Aug 17, 2005 #13
    That is true you can get the effects of green tea in different forms. Hitssquad how did those leaves taste? Good thing I like me tea strong an leave the bag in the tea for at least 6 minutes.

~Kitty

15. Aug 17, 2005 #14

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I don't have a history of heart trouble but I do take medication for blood pressure, and I have a cuff for daily monitoring at home. I had been in the habit of drinking two cups of Earl Grey tea each afternoon, but on an occasion I switched to green tea. I always let it brew 5 minutes. I find that when I drink green tea my BP goes down, but when I go back to regular tea it goes up. Whether this is due to the caffeine in the regular tea constricting my blood vessels or due to something positive in the green tea I don't know.

Now I'm going to share something controversial. When I had my checkup last month my LDL cholesterol was excellent, and my HDL was just barely in the acceptible region. So, desiring to raise my HDL if possible, I went online. And I found that good things for raising HDL are the things you do to lower LDL; excercise, long walks, lean low salt diet. I do all those things. But I found one thing specifically for HDL that the sites were almost embarrassed to mention, though it's an established effect; a shot of whisky every day is good for HDL. For me it's more like every few days, because I don't want to establish a dependency. But it's now a part of my life style.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  16. Aug 17, 2005 #15
    Wait isn't LDL 'good cholesterol' and HDL is 'bad cholesterol'? So when you say your HDL was "barley in the acceptible region" did you mean it was too low? :bugeye:

Wouldn't you want it low? Or do I have that backwards?

~Kitty

17. Aug 17, 2005 #16
    I find when I feel a cold coming on if I drink 5-6 servings of green tea that I feel better the next day. Could that be attributed to the antioxidents in the tea? I don't know of any other teas that work the way green tea does. Does anyone know of a tea with similiar effects to green tea?

~Kitty

18. Aug 17, 2005 #17

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LDL is the bad and HDL is the good.

19. Aug 18, 2005 #18
    Guess I did get them confused (again.) Sorry. :redface:

~Kitty

20. Aug 18, 2005 #19
    How to remember the differences between HDL and LDL

You might relate them to bodyfat and muscle. Muscle is generally preferable to bodyfat and is heavier (high density). HDL is generally preferable to LDL and is heavier (High Density Lipoprotein).

In fact, HDL is "a lipoprotein of blood plasma that is composed of a high proportion of protein with little triglyceride and cholesterol." HDL is heavier (high density) precisely because it has more protein and less fat and cholesterol than LDL.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  21. Aug 18, 2005 #20
    Huh, thanks Hitssquad. So the green tea is good at lowering the LDL?

~Kitty

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?