1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's formula

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the wave operator
    [tex] \Box^2 = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2} - \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}[/tex]
    Write Green's forumula for an arbitrary domain [itex] \Omega [/itex] with boundary [itex] \Gamma [/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    define a vector q, where
    [tex] q \cdot e_t = n \cdot e_t [/tex]
    [tex] q \cdot e_x = -n \cdot e_x [/tex]
    where e_x, e_t are unit vectors in x, t dimensions, n is the normal.
    Show Green's formula takes the form
    [tex] \int_\Omega (v\Box^2u - u\Box^2 v)dx dt = \int_\Gamma \left( v\frac{\partial u}{\partial q} -u\frac{\partial u}{\partial q} \right)dl[/tex]
    where dl is an element of arclength along the bounding curve [itex] \Gamma [/itex]
    (u and v are arbitrary functions in R1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm starting with Green's formula for an arbitrary linear operator:
    [tex] \int_\Omega (vLu - L^*v) = \int_\Gamma div(J(u,v)) [/tex]
    Where L is an ODE operator, and J is the conjunct of u and v. For the operator above, this takes the form of
    [tex] \int_\Omega (vLu - L*v) = \int_\Gamma div \left[e_t \left( v\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} -u\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}\right) + u grad_x v - v grad_x u \right][/tex]
    Where grad_x is the gradient along x. Now, the div operator should give us the same a the dot product of the normal to the line space:
    [tex] = \int_\Gamma n\cdot\left[e_t \left( v\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} -u\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}\right) + u grad_x v - v grad_x u\right] [/tex]

I believe that [itex] n \cdot grad_x = \frac{\partial}{\partial n}[/itex]. So, substituting the form of q above, I have
    [tex] = \int_\Gamma \left( q\cdot e_t \left( v\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} -u\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}\right) + \left(v\frac{\partial u}{\partial q} - u\frac{\partial u}{\partial q}\right)\right) [/tex]

I'm almost there, I'm just not sure how [itex] \left( q\cdot e_t \left( v\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} -u\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}\right) [/itex] disappears.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?