Green's Function and Variation of Parameters

In summary, the method of variation of parameters is used to find the inverse operator ##B^{-1}##, which is an integral operator with the Green's function as its kernel. The function ##w## is defined to help express the solution to the inhomogeneous equation as an integral involving the Green's function.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Given operator ##B## defined as $$ B[u(s)] = c u(s) - u''(s) - \frac{1}{2 s_0}\int_{-s_0}^{s_0}(c u(s) - u''(s))\, ds$$ I'm trying to find it's inverse operator ##B^{-1}##. The journal I'm reading states ##B^{-1}## is an integral operator $$B^{-1}(u(s)) = \int_{-s_0}^{s_0}G(s,z)u(s)\,ds$$ whose kernal is the Green's function of ##B(u)=f : \pm u'(\pm s_0)+c \cot(\alpha) u(\pm s_0) = 0##. The paper I'm reading applies variation of parameters to conclude that
Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 1.00.37 PM.png

where evidently ##v_1## and ##v_2## solve $$cv(s)-v''(s) = 0;\\
v_1(0)=0,\,v_1'(0) = 1;\\
v_2(0)=1,\,v_1'(0) = 0.$$
Any idea how they determined the ##w## function? I've looked everywhere but can't find a link. I should possibly state that ##c = \cos \alpha## where ##\alpha## is constant.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 1.00.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 1.00.37 PM.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 598
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

To find the inverse operator ##B^{-1}##, we can use the method of variation of parameters. This method involves finding two linearly independent solutions to the homogeneous equation $$cv(s)-v''(s) = 0.$$ These solutions are ##v_1## and ##v_2##, with initial conditions as stated in the forum post.

Then, we can define the function ##w(s)## as $$w(s) = \frac{1}{cv_1(s)v_2'(s) - cv_2(s)v_1'(s)}.$$ This function is important because it helps us express the solution to the inhomogeneous equation as an integral involving the Green's function.

To see how this works, we can start with the equation $$B[u(s)] = f(s),$$ and use the variation of parameters method to find the solution as $$u(s) = w(s)\int_{-s_0}^{s_0}G(s,z)f(z)\,dz.$$ Substituting this into the original equation, we can see that it satisfies the equation if the Green's function is defined as $$G(s,z) = \frac{v_1(s)v_2(z) - v_2(s)v_1(z)}{cv_1(s)v_2'(s) - cv_2(s)v_1'(s)}.$$ Therefore, the inverse operator ##B^{-1}## can be written as an integral operator with the Green's function as its kernel.

I hope this helps clarify how the ##w## function is determined and how it relates to the inverse operator. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a Green's function in mathematics and how is it used?

A Green's function is a type of mathematical function that represents the response of a linear, time-invariant system to an impulse input. It can be used to solve differential equations by breaking them down into simpler, solvable parts. The Green's function acts as a sort of "building block" for constructing solutions to more complex problems.

2. How does variation of parameters differ from the method of undetermined coefficients?

Variation of parameters is a method used to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations, while the method of undetermined coefficients is used for solving homogeneous linear differential equations. In variation of parameters, the particular solution is found by using a variation of the homogeneous solution, whereas the method of undetermined coefficients uses a trial function to find the particular solution.

3. Can Green's functions be used to solve non-homogeneous differential equations?

Yes, Green's functions can be used to solve both homogeneous and non-homogeneous linear differential equations. In the case of non-homogeneous equations, the Green's function is used to find the particular solution, while the homogeneous solution is still found separately. The final solution is a combination of the particular and homogeneous solutions.

4. What are the advantages of using Green's functions in solving differential equations?

Green's functions provide a systematic and efficient way to solve differential equations, especially non-homogeneous ones. They also allow for the solution of more complex problems by breaking them down into simpler parts. Additionally, Green's functions can be used to solve boundary value problems, which are common in many scientific and engineering applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using Green's functions in solving differential equations?

Green's functions can only be used for linear, time-invariant systems. This means that they cannot be used for nonlinear or time-varying systems. Additionally, finding the Green's function for certain types of systems can be mathematically challenging, and may require advanced techniques such as complex analysis. However, for many common types of differential equations, Green's functions can provide a powerful and practical solution method.