1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's function for the sphere

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a hollow spherical shell of radius a is held at potential [itex]\Phi(a, \theta ', \phi ')[/itex], then the potential at an arbitrary point is given by,

[tex]\Phi(r, \theta, \phi)=\frac{1}{4 \pi} \oint \Phi(a, \theta ', \phi ') \frac{\delta G(r, r')}{\delta n '}dS'[/tex]

where [tex]G(r, r')=\frac{1}{(r^2+a^2-2arcos \gamma)^{3/2}}-\frac{a}{r'(r^2+\frac{a^4}{r'^2}-2r\frac{a^2}{r'}cos \gamma)^{3/2}}[/tex]

and [tex]dS'=a^2 sin(\theta ') d \theta ' d \phi '[/tex]

Suppose the sphere is held at a fixed potential, [itex]V_0[/itex].
    (a) Calculate the potential outside the sphere.
    (b) Use the formula above to calculate the potential inside the sphere.

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\Phi(r, \theta, \phi)=\frac{V_0}{4 \pi} \oint \frac{\delta G(r, r')}{\delta n '}dS'=\frac{V_0 a^2}{4 \pi}\int_0^{2 \pi} d \phi ' \int_0^{\pi}\frac{\delta G(r, r')}{\delta n '} sin(\theta ') d \theta '=\frac{V_0 a^2}{2}\int_0^{\pi}\frac{\delta G(r, r')}{\delta n '} sin(\theta ') d \theta '[/tex]
    The problem I am having is that when I calculate the potential outside the sphere then set r=a, I do NOT get the potential as being [itex]V_0[/itex] on the surface as I should.
    One spot where I may have messed up is in calculating the derivative of the Green function,

[tex]\frac{\delta G(r, r')}{\delta n'}=-\frac{\delta G(r, r')}{\delta r'} |_{r'=a}[/tex]

I believe this is correct since the normal component of the large sphere points inward along r'..anyway after some algebra I get the answer to be

[tex]\frac{2a^2-r^2-racos \gamma}{a(r^2+a^2-2racos \gamma)^{5/2}}[/tex]

I am thinking either I took this derivative wrong, or I later integrated the expression wrong.

Thanks for your comments.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2011 #2
    Hi kreil,

I am pretty sure this is your problem. You have defined your Green function with powers of 3/2 in your denominators when they should rather be powers of 1/2.

I am assuming you have G defined such that on the surface of the sphere, G=0. Well, to prove to yourself which form is correct, try plugging R into x to see which power (1/2 or 3/2) gives you G(x=R)=0.

Good Luck!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook