Green's function for third order ODE

In summary, to find the Green's function for the third order ODE with the given boundary conditions, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients and solve for the coefficients using the boundary conditions.
squenshl
I am trying to find a Green's function for a third order ODE.

([itex]\lambda[/itex] - d3/dx3 - [itex]\mu[/itex] d/dx)u = f(x) with boundary conditions u(0) = uxx(0) = ux(L) = 0 (L is finite).

This has solution u(x) = c1em1x + c2em2x + c3em3x

where m1, m2 and m3 are the roots of the characteristic equation from the ODE (they are not important at the moment).

My question is how do I find the coefficients c1, c2 and c3?

I know that it is going to be a 3 term piecewise function (as it is third order).

Do I use the u(0) = uxx(0) = 0 BC's from 0 to s and u(0) = ux(L) = 0 from s to L?

I need help on this please.
Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution can be found by using the method of undetermined coefficients. To do this, you need to first solve the homogeneous version of the equation, which has solution u(x) = c1em1x + c2em2x + c3em3x. To find the coefficients c1, c2, and c3, you then need to use the boundary conditions to form a linear system of equations. For example, for the boundary condition u(0) = 0, you would have c1 + c2 + c3 = 0. Similarly, for uxx(0) = 0, you would have m1^3c1 + m2^3c2 + m3^3c3 = 0. The third boundary condition, ux(L) = 0, can also be used in this way. Once you have three equations, you can solve for the three unknowns c1, c2, and c3.

1. What is a Green's function for a third order ODE?

A Green's function for a third order ODE is a mathematical tool used to solve a third order ordinary differential equation (ODE). It represents the solution to the equation when the input, or forcing function, is a delta function.

2. How is a Green's function for a third order ODE derived?

A Green's function for a third order ODE can be derived through the method of variation of parameters. This involves finding the fundamental set of solutions to the homogeneous version of the ODE and then using them to construct the Green's function.

3. What is the significance of a Green's function for a third order ODE?

A Green's function for a third order ODE allows us to solve for the response of a system to an arbitrary input. It is a powerful tool in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering.

4. How is a Green's function for a third order ODE used in practice?

In practice, a Green's function for a third order ODE is often used to solve boundary value problems, where the boundary conditions are known but the input is not. It is also commonly used in the method of images, which is used to find solutions for systems with boundaries.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Green's function for a third order ODE?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a Green's function for a third order ODE. It can only be used for linear systems, and it may not always be applicable for nonlinear systems. Additionally, the Green's function may not exist for certain boundary conditions.