1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's Functions (for ODE)

1. Aug 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm teaching myself the Green's function method for ODEs, because it looks relevant to my interests. This is a (slightly contrived) problem I just came up with arbitrarily:

[tex]y''+5y'+6y=sin(x) \; \; \; ; \; \; \; y(0)=y'(0)=0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

i) When considered as a function of [itex]x[/itex] alone, [itex]G(x, z)[/itex] must obey the homogeneous initial conditions.

ii) The derivatives of [itex]G(x, z)[/itex] with respect to [itex]x[/itex] up to order [itex]n - 2[/itex] are continuous at [itex]x = z[/itex], but the [itex](n - 1)^{th}[/itex] order derivative has a discontinuity of [itex]\large{\frac{1}{a_{n}(z)}}[/itex] at this point.

3. The attempt at a solution

Proceeding with the complementary solution (following the procedure outlined in my text):

[tex]G(x, z)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
    A(z)e^{-2x} + B(z)e^{-3x}\Rightarrow & x<z \\
    C(z)e^{-2x} + D(z)e^{-3x}\Rightarrow & x>z
    \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

We require [itex]G(0, z) = G'(0, z) = 0[/itex]. For some reason this implies [itex]A(z) = B(z) = 0[/itex]. I mean, it's obvious that this is true if [itex]G(x, z) = A(z)e^{-2x} + B(z)e^{-3z}[/itex], but it's a piecewise function, so why do we only consider [itex]x < z [/itex]?

Anyways, this equation is of order 2, so we need the 0th order derivative to be continuous. Also, the 1st derivative needs to have a discontinuity of 1 (because the leading coefficient is 1):

[tex]\begin{matrix}
    C(z)e^{-2z}+D(z)e^{-3z}=0\\ -2C(z)e^{-2z}-3D(z)e^{-3z}=1

\end{matrix}[/tex]

Solving gives [itex]C(z) = e^{2z}, D(z) = -e^{3z}[/itex]. Then:

[tex]y(x) = \int_{0}^{\infty }G(x,z)sin(z)dz [/tex]

[tex]y(x)=\int_{0}^{x }[e^{2z-2x}-e^{3z-3x}]sin(z)dz[/tex]

[tex]y(x)=\frac{1}{10}(e^{-3x} (2e^{x}-1) - cos(x) + sin(x)) \leftarrow \text{Lazily computed with Mathematica.}[/tex]

What I don't get is why that improper integral all of a sudden changed to have limits from 0 to [itex]x[/itex]. Furthermore, why is it even an improper integral at all? I suspect that it's because the initial conditions don't specify a boundary, but then why shouldn't the lower limit be negative infinity?

Thanks so much, and sorry about the wall of Tex :redface:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2011 #2
    Start spreadin' the news - I'm bumping today.
    I want to bump a part of it; this thread, is bumped.

(Best sung to the tune of Frank Sinatra's New York, New York.)

4. Aug 9, 2011 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The way you solved the problem, you've found the solution on the interval [0, ∞), which makes sense because you have the initial conditions at x=0 and you want to know how the system responds subsequently. Consequently, z will lie somewhere in that interval and split the interval into two pieces. The initial conditions apply to only the x<z part of the Green's function because x=0 is in the x<z part of the interval.
    Remember G(x,z) vanishes for x<z, so only when z is between 0 and x is there any contribution to the integral.

5. Aug 10, 2011 #4
    Okay totally gotcha, so it really just comes down to the initial conditions. Thanks for clearing that up - I was beginning to lose hope! This method seems like more trouble than it's worth, but I'm sure it will come in handy some day.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook