1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's Functions

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Green's Functions

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The basic equation of the scalar Kirchhoff diffraction theory is:

[tex]\psi(\vec r_1) = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S_2}\left[\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}\nabla \psi(\vec r_2) - \psi(\vec r_2)\nabla (\frac{e^{ikr}}{r})\right] \cdot d\vec S_2[/tex]

where [itex]\psi[/itex] satisfies the homogeneous (three-dimensional) Helmholtz equation and [itex]r = |\vec r_1 - \vec r_2|[/itex]. Derive the above equation, assuming that [itex]\vec r_1[/itex] is interior to the closed surface [itex]S_2[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Helmholtz Equation

[tex](\nabla^2 + k^2)\psi = 0[/tex]

Modified Helmholtz Equation

[tex](\nabla^2 - k^2)\psi = 0[/tex]

Has Green's Function

[tex]G(\vec r_1, \vec r_2) = \frac{\mathrm{exp}(-k|\vec r_1 - \vec r_2|)}{4\pi|\vec r_1 - \vec r_2|}[/tex]

Green's Function of three-dimensional Laplacian ([itex]\nabla^2[/itex]) is proportional to

[tex]G(\vec r_1, \vec r_2) \propto \int \mathrm{exp}(i\vec k\cdot(\vec r_1 - \vec r_2))\frac{d^3k}{k^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

We have [itex]\psi[/itex] as a solution of the equation

[tex](\nabla_1{}^2 + k^2)\psi(\vec r_1) = (\nabla_1{}^2 - k^2)\psi(\vec r_1) + 2k^2\psi(\vec r_1) = 0[/tex]

[tex]\nabla_1{}^2 \psi(\vec r_1) = -k^2\psi(\vec r_1)[/tex]

Which gives that

[tex](\nabla_1{}^2 - k^2)\psi(\vec r_1) = -2k^2\psi(\vec r_1) = 2\nabla_1{}^2 \psi(\vec r_1)[/tex]

So we can write the solution in terms of the Green's function for the modified Helmholtz Equation

[tex]\psi(\vec r_1) & = & \int_{V_2}G(\vec r_1, \vec r_2)2\nabla_1{}^2\psi(\vec r_1) dV_2[/tex]

And then I don't know how to take it from there to the solution. It doesn't look like it should be too hard, but I don't know how to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2
    Noone can help?
  4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    Anyone, this is due tomorrow :(
  5. Oct 24, 2007 #4
    Ok, I got a little further, still not sure how to finish it though...

I then apply Green's theorem to the RHS and get

[tex]\psi(\vec r_1) = 2\int_{S_2}(G(\vec r_1, \vec r_2)\nabla_2\psi(\vec r_2) - \psi(\vec r_2)\nabla_2G(\vec r_2, \vec r_2))dS_2 + 2\int_{V_2}\psi(\vec r_2)\nabla_2{}^2G(\vec r_1, \vec r_2)dV_2[/tex]

But we know that

[tex]\nabla_2{}^2G(\vec r_1, \vec r_2) = k^2G(\vec r_1, \vec r_2) - \delta(\vec r_1, \vec r_2)[/tex]

So the equation becomes

[tex]3\psi(\vec r_1) = 2\int_{S_2}(G(\vec r_1, \vec r_2)\nabla_2\psi(\vec r_2) - \psi(\vec r_2)\nabla_2G(\vec r_2, \vec r_2))dS_2 + 2k^2\int_{V_2}\psi(\vec r_2)G(\vec r_1, \vec r_2)dV_2[/tex]

The first term is close to what I need, it is

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{S_2}\left[\frac{e^{-kr}}{r}\nabla\psi(\vec r_2) - \psi(\vec r_2)\nabla\frac{e^{-kr}}{r}\right]\cdot dS_2[/tex]

But I don't know how to change that negative to an [itex]i[/itex], or how to get rid of the extra term, or how to get rid of the extra factor of 2/3.
  6. Oct 24, 2007 #5
    Ok, for the second term, we have

[tex] k^2\psi(\vec r_2) = -\nabla_2{}^2\psi(\vec r_2)[/tex]

And then

[tex] \int_{V_2}2\nabla_2{}^2\psi(\vec r_2)G(\vec r_1, \vec r_2)dV_2 = \psi(\vec r_1)[/tex]

So we bring it over to the other side, and divide by 4 to get

[tex]\psi(\vec r_1) = \frac{1}{8\pi}\int_{S_2}\left[\frac{e^{-kr}}{r}\nabla\psi(\vec r_2) - \psi(\vec r_2)\nabla\frac{e^{-kr}}{r}\right]\cdot d\vec S_2[/tex]

Which is only off by a factor of 1/2, and has those negatives instead of [itex]i[/itex]'s in the exponent.
  7. Oct 25, 2007 #6
    Figured it out, the method I was using was the wrong one.
  8. Oct 25, 2007 #7
    I still can't mark my threads as solved...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?