1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's Th. problem

1. Dec 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find area of indicated region: S is bounded by the curves y = 4x and y = 2x^3

actual answer: 8/3

note: }a:b{ is what i mean by the definite integral

2. Relevant equations
    A(s) = 1/2 }Green's Int{ (-ydx + xdy) = 1/2 }{ }{ (dN/dx - dM/dy)dxdy

3. The attempt at a solution

y' = 4
    intersection: 4x = 2x^3 ---> x = sqrt(2)

A(s) = 1/2 }0:sqrt(2){ }4x:4{ (1 + 1) dydx

= 1/2 }0:sqrt(2){ (2(4) - 2(4x)) dx
    = 1/2 (8(sqrt(2)) - 4(2))
    = 4(sqrt(2)) - 4
    (not equal to 8/3)

sorry bare with me i dont totally understand the theorem but i tried
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Uh, why is there a need to use Green's theorem to solve this? Couldn't you just find the area by means of a definite integral? I thought Green's theorem only applied to line integrals of vector functions/fields?
  4. Dec 7, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not quite sure what you were trying to do (the notation you used is poor, so I have no idea what's being integrated, etc.) but at the top you had the curves as 4x and 2x^2, so the intersection would occur at x=2
  5. Dec 7, 2007 #4
    yes u can just integrate the easier way, but the point is to use greens theorem, oops its y = 2x^3

the question wants me to use this equation to solve it:
    ok ill use I(a,b) as the integral

I(Greens) (-y/2 dx + x/2 dy) = I I (1/2 + 1/2) dA = A(s)

i guess my real question is how do u find the intervals on which you integrate the double integral
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  6. Dec 7, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Using Green's theorem, it's easy to show that the area of the region enclosed by the closed path C is [itex]\int_C x dy[/itex] or [itex]\int_C -ydx[/itex].

I also note that y= 4x and y= 2x3 intersect at [itex](-\sqrt{2},-4\sqrt{2})[/itex], (0, 0), and [itex](-\sqrt{2},-4\sqrt{2})[/itex] so the region has two symmetric regions, one in the first quadrant and one in the third quadrant. I would recommend finding the area of the one in the first quadrant and doubling.

[itex]\int_C -ydx[/itex] divides into two integrals: On y= 2x3, it is [itex]\int_0^{\sqrt{2}} -2x^3 dx[/itex]. On y= 4x, it is [itex]\int_{\sqrt{2}}^0 -4xdx[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?