Green's Theorem for a circle

In summary, using Green's theorem, the second type line integral I = \oint_{\Gamma} x^2 y dx - xy^2dy can be calculated as -\frac{\pi}{2} by transforming it to polar coordinates and using the double integral formula.
manenbu

Homework Statement

Use Green's Theorem to calculate second type line integral:
[tex]I = \oint_{\Gamma} x^2 y dx - xy^2dy[/tex]
where [itex]\Gamma[/tex] is the edge of domain [itex] D = \left\{(x,y) | x^2 + y^2 \leq 1, y \geq 0 \right\}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Green's Theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so according to Green's Therom this integral becomes:
[tex]-\iint_{D} x^2 + y^2 dA[/tex]
And since my domain is the upper part of a radius 1 circle centered at the origin, we can make it like this:
[tex]-\int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{1}(\cos^2{\theta} + \sin^2{\theta}) r dr d\theta = -\int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{1} r dr d\theta = -\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

But for some reason I got a feeling that something went wrong here, maybe because of the minus sign in front of [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]?
Was I correct in making the transformation to polar coordinates after constructing the double integral, or should it had been better before (even though the differentiation becomes much more complicated then)?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution is correct. The minus sign in front of [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] is correct because Green's theorem states that the line integral is equal to the negative of the double integral. As for the transformation to polar coordinates, it is up to personal preference. Both ways are valid, but using polar coordinates simplifies the integration.

1. What is Green's Theorem for a circle?

Green's Theorem for a circle is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral around a simple closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. In other words, it connects the geometry of a circle to the calculus of its boundary.

2. What is the significance of Green's Theorem for a circle?

Green's Theorem for a circle has many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It allows us to calculate surface area, volume, and other important quantities by using integrals, which makes it a powerful tool for solving problems involving circles and curved shapes.

3. How is Green's Theorem for a circle derived?

Green's Theorem for a circle is derived from the more general Green's Theorem, which relates the line integral around a closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. By applying Green's Theorem to a circle, we can derive a simplified version specifically for circles.

4. What are the conditions for applying Green's Theorem for a circle?

In order to apply Green's Theorem for a circle, the curve must be a simple closed curve, meaning it does not intersect itself. Additionally, the curve must also be smooth, meaning it has a continuous first derivative at every point.

5. Can Green's Theorem for a circle be applied to other shapes besides circles?

Yes, Green's Theorem can be applied to any simple closed curve, not just circles. However, the formula and calculations will be different depending on the shape of the curve. Green's Theorem for a circle is a special case that is derived specifically for circles.