1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's Theorem for a circle

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use Green's Theorem to calculate second type line integral:
    [tex]I = \oint_{\Gamma} x^2 y dx - xy^2dy[/tex]
    where [itex]\Gamma[/tex] is the edge of domain [itex] D = \left\{(x,y) | x^2 + y^2 \leq 1, y \geq 0 \right\}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Green's Theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so according to Green's Therom this integral becomes:
    [tex]-\iint_{D} x^2 + y^2 dA[/tex]
    And since my domain is the upper part of a radius 1 circle centered at the origin, we can make it like this:
    [tex]-\int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{1}(\cos^2{\theta} + \sin^2{\theta}) r dr d\theta = -\int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{1} r dr d\theta = -\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

But for some reason I got a feeling that something went wrong here, maybe because of the minus sign in front of [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]?
    Was I correct in making the transformation to polar coordinates after constructing the double integral, or should it had been better before (even though the differentiation becomes much more complicated then)?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?