1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Greens theorem-maximises area

1. May 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find a simple closed curve with counter-clockwise orientation that maximises the value of [itex]\oint (cos x^2 + 4yx^2) dx + (4x-xy^2)dy[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

from greens theorem [itex]\oint Pdx+qdy = \int\int \frac{\partial q}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial p}{\partial y} dA[/itex]

so[itex]\int\int_{D} 4-y^2-4x^2 dxdy[/itex]

the integrand is positive everywher inside the elipse,zero on the ellipse and negative outside. so to maximise the integral C should be the oriented boundary of the ellipse oriented in the counter-clockwise direction.

x=2cosr y=sinr dx=rdr

sooo i think the maximum value is [itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} \int^{2}_{0} 4 - sin^2 r - 16 cos ^2 r drd\theta[/itex]

which i the simplify.
    anyone know if i'm on the right lines here...

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi gtfitzpatrick! :smile:
    yeees (except you've missed out an "r", and the limits are wrong) …

but the question only asks for the curve :wink:

4. May 5, 2012 #3
    Hi tiny-tim,
    thanks for that, i see the missed r thanks. which of my limits are wrong, should my limit be 0 to 4?

5. May 5, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it's an ellipse

shouldn't r depend on θ ? :wink:

6. May 5, 2012 #5
    ah yes i see, i had set my limits as if it was a circle. but as you say it is an ellipse. I know the question doesnt ask for it but, i'll have to think about it! cant see straight off what to set my limits to..

7. Jul 23, 2012 #6
    just reading over this again. So the question only asks for the curve so [itex]\int\int_{D} 4-y^2-4x^2 dxdy[/itex] so the curve C = to the ellipse [itex]4-y^2-4x^2 [/itex] this is the curve that maximises the area right but how to i explain it better than that?

8. Jul 23, 2012 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if you want to find the region D over which ∫∫D f(x,y) dxdy is maximised,

then if you choose D to be the region in which f(x,y) ≥ 0, then clearly either enlarging or dikminishing D will decrease the integral :wink:

9. Jul 23, 2012 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But that isn't the equation of the ellipse because there is no = sign.

10. Aug 20, 2012 #9
    getting back to this...
    So my equation for an ellipse is[itex]\frac{x^2}{1^2} + \frac{y^2}{2^2} = 1[/itex] so parametizing this I get x=cos[itex]\theta[/itex] and y=2sin[itex]\theta[/itex] and from green the area is [itex]\frac{1}{2}\int^{2\pi}_{0} cos\theta(2cos\theta)-sin\theta(-2sin\theta d\theta[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}\int^{2\pi}_{0} 2(1) d\theta [/itex] = [itex]2\pi[/itex]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  11. Aug 20, 2012 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi gtfitzpatrick! :smile:

(ah! you corrected the "2" ! :biggrin:)

to check: put z = 2x, and then halve the area of z2 + y2 = 4 :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook