You are right, the maximum value is π.

• Thread starter gtfitzpatrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the homework statement asks for a closed curve that maximizes the value of an integrand. The attempt at a solution uses greens theorem to find that the curve that maximizes the area is an ellipse with a counter-clockwise orientation.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

find a simple closed curve with counter-clockwise orientation that maximises the value of [itex]\oint (cos x^2 + 4yx^2) dx + (4x-xy^2)dy[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

from greens theorem [itex]\oint Pdx+qdy = \int\int \frac{\partial q}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial p}{\partial y} dA[/itex]

so[itex]\int\int_{D} 4-y^2-4x^2 dxdy[/itex]

the integrand is positive everywher inside the elipse,zero on the ellipse and negative outside. so to maximise the integral C should be the oriented boundary of the ellipse oriented in the counter-clockwise direction.

x=2cosr y=sinr dx=rdr

sooo i think the maximum value is [itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} \int^{2}_{0} 4 - sin^2 r - 16 cos ^2 r drd\theta[/itex]

which i the simplify.
anyone know if I'm on the right lines here...

Physics news on Phys.org
hi gtfitzpatrick! :smile:
gtfitzpatrick said:
find a simple closed curve with counter-clockwise orientation that maximises the value of …

sooo i think the maximum value is [itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} \int^{2}_{0} 4 - sin^2 r - 16 cos ^2 r drd\theta[/itex]

yeees (except you've missed out an "r", and the limits are wrong) …

but the question only asks for the curve :wink:

Hi tiny-tim,
thanks for that, i see the missed r thanks. which of my limits are wrong, should my limit be 0 to 4?

it's an ellipse

shouldn't r depend on θ ? :wink:

ah yes i see, i had set my limits as if it was a circle. but as you say it is an ellipse. I know the question doesn't ask for it but, i'll have to think about it! can't see straight off what to set my limits to..

just reading over this again. So the question only asks for the curve so [itex]\int\int_{D} 4-y^2-4x^2 dxdy[/itex] so the curve C = to the ellipse [itex]4-y^2-4x^2 [/itex] this is the curve that maximises the area right but how to i explain it better than that?

if you want to find the region D over which ∫∫D f(x,y) dxdy is maximised,

then if you choose D to be the region in which f(x,y) ≥ 0, then clearly either enlarging or dikminishing D will decrease the integral :wink:

gtfitzpatrick said:
just reading over this again. So the question only asks for the curve so [itex]\int\int_{D} 4-y^2-4x^2 dxdy[/itex] so the curve C = to the ellipse [itex]4-y^2-4x^2 [/itex] this is the curve that maximises the area right but how to i explain it better than that?

But that isn't the equation of the ellipse because there is no = sign.

getting back to this...
So my equation for an ellipse is[itex]\frac{x^2}{1^2} + \frac{y^2}{2^2} = 1[/itex] so parametizing this I get x=cos[itex]\theta[/itex] and y=2sin[itex]\theta[/itex] and from green the area is [itex]\frac{1}{2}\int^{2\pi}_{0} cos\theta(2cos\theta)-sin\theta(-2sin\theta d\theta[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}\int^{2\pi}_{0} 2(1) d\theta [/itex] = [itex]2\pi[/itex]

Last edited:
hi gtfitzpatrick! :smile:

(ah! you corrected the "2" ! :biggrin:)

to check: put z = 2x, and then halve the area of z2 + y2 = 4 :wink:

1. What is Green's theorem and how does it maximize area?

Green's theorem is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the area of a region bounded by a closed curve. It states that the double integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a region is equal to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of that region. This theorem allows for the calculation of area by converting it into a line integral, which is easier to solve.

2. How is Green's theorem used in real-world applications?

Green's theorem is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving the calculation of area, work, and flux. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force on an object moving along a closed path, or to determine the electric flux through a closed surface in electromagnetism.

3. Are there any limitations to Green's theorem?

Green's theorem is only applicable to regions with smooth boundaries, meaning that the boundary curve must be continuous and have a well-defined tangent at every point. It also only applies to two-dimensional vector fields, and cannot be extended to three-dimensional or higher dimensions.

4. How does Green's theorem relate to other theorems in mathematics?

Green's theorem is a special case of the more general Stokes' theorem, which relates line integrals to surface integrals in higher-dimensional spaces. It is also related to the Divergence theorem, which states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of that field over the region enclosed by the surface.

5. Can Green's theorem be used to find the area of any region?

Green's theorem is most commonly used for finding the area of regions that can be described by a smooth boundary curve. However, it can also be applied to regions with holes by breaking them down into smaller, simpler regions. In some cases, Green's theorem may not be the most efficient method for finding the area and other techniques such as integration by parts may be more suitable.