Using Green's Theorem to Solve a Circle Line Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Greens theorem to solve a closed curve line integral. The given curve is a circle with its center at the origin and a radius of 1. The equation for the circle is x^2 + y^2 = 1. The attempt at a solution involves finding the vector field F and using the circle equation to calculate the derivatives needed for Greens theorem. The person encounters difficulties due to lack of knowledge about coordinate systems and eventually solves the problem using polar coordinates after applying Greens theorem. The final answer obtained is -2\pi.
Liferider

Homework Statement

Use greens theorem to solve the closed curve line integral:
[itex]\oint[/itex](ydx-xdy)

The curve is a circle with its center at origin with a radius of 1.

Homework Equations

x^2 + y^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

Greens theorem states that:
Given F=[P,Q]=[y, -x]=yi-xj

[itex]\oint[/itex]F*dr=[itex]\oint[/itex]Pdx+Qdy=[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]([itex]\frac{dQ}{dx}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{dP}{dy}[/itex])dA

From the circle equation i find:
x=[itex]\sqrt{1-y^2}[/itex]
y=[itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]

Which means that:
[itex]\frac{dQ}{dx}[/itex]=0 and [itex]\frac{dP}{dy}[/itex]=0

Obviously, I am doing something wrong... but which rules am I breaking??

I did find the answer the "normal" way, without greens, which was -2[itex]\pi[/itex].

I think a lot of my difficulties originates from lack of knowledge about different coordinate systems and the conversion between these.
One could write:
x=cos t and y=sin t, but do I have to? (btw, i used that for solving the normal way).

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh wait... I think I got the vector field F mixed up with the circle that I am integrating over.
I shouldn't insert for x and y before I have applied greens theorem... I think.

It's [itex]Q = -x, P= y[/itex], so [itex]\frac{dQ}{dx} = -1[/itex], etc...

Solved, used polar coordinates on the integral after greens theorem.

What is Green's theorem on a circle?

Green's theorem on a circle is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral of a vector field around a closed curve to the double integral over the region enclosed by that curve. It is often used in the study of vector calculus and has applications in physics and engineering.

What is the formula for Green's theorem on a circle?

The formula for Green's theorem on a circle is ∮CF(x,y)ds = ∬D(∂Fy/∂x - ∂Fx/∂y)dA, where C is the closed curve, F(x,y) is the vector field, and D is the region enclosed by the curve.

What is the significance of Green's theorem on a circle?

Green's theorem on a circle is significant because it allows for the computation of line integrals using a double integral, which can often be easier to evaluate. It also provides a connection between the line integral and the area enclosed by the curve, making it a useful tool in many applications.

How is Green's theorem on a circle used in physics?

Green's theorem on a circle is used in physics to calculate work done by a conservative force along a closed path. It is also used to determine the flux of a vector field through a closed curve, which has applications in electromagnetism and fluid mechanics.

Are there any limitations to Green's theorem on a circle?

Green's theorem on a circle has limitations in that it can only be applied to closed curves and regions. It also assumes that the vector field is well-behaved and has continuous partial derivatives. Additionally, the curve must be oriented in a counterclockwise direction for the theorem to hold.