Green's theorem or divergence theorem?

In summary, the conversation is about using either Green's theorem or the divergence theorem to calculate the total flux in a modified Reynolds equation for air flow in a clearance of a porous air bearing. The equation can be rewritten using the divergence vector operation and Green's theorem is only applicable for 2D systems while the divergence theorem can be used for 3D systems. The person asking the question is unsure if the pressure gradient in the Z-direction affects the use of Green's theorem.
hermano
Hi,

I want to calculate the total flux but I'm not sure if I have to use Green's theorem (2D) or the divergence theorem (3D). The equation below is a modified Reynolds equation describing the air flow in the clearance of porous air bearing.

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}(PH^3 \frac{\partial P}{\partial\theta}) +(\frac{R}{L})^2 \frac{\partial}{\partial Y}(PH^3 \frac{\partial P}{\partial Y}) - \Lambda \frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}PH + \Psi P (\frac{\partial P'}{\partial Z})_{Z=1} = 0[/itex]

P is the pressure in the clearance of the air bearing, P' is the pressure in the porous media. However, at Z=1 P' must be equal to P for continuity.

This equation can be rewritten using the divergence vector operation:

[itex]\nabla\bullet\left[PH^3 \frac{\partial P}{\partial\theta} + (\frac{R}{L})^2 PH^3 \frac{\partial P}{\partial Y} - \Lambda PH + \Psi P P'\right] = 0[/itex]

Solving this equation with a numerical method (i.e. finite difference) can be done by first simplifying the equation with Green's theorem for flux or the divergence theorem. Because I'm interested in the flow in the \(\displaystyle \theta\) - Y direction I want to solve the equation applying Green's theorem (2D). However, in the first equation there is also a gradient in the Z-direction namely [itex]\Psi P (\frac{\partial P'}{\partial Z})_{Z=1}[/itex]. So my question is: Can I calculate the flux with Green's theorem or do I have to use the divergence theorem because of the pressure gradient in the Z-direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance!Since the equation involves derivatives in 3 dimensions, you should use the divergence theorem. The divergence theorem allows you to calculate the flux of a vector field over a closed surface by calculating the divergence of the vector field within the volume enclosed by the surface. Green's theorem is only applicable for 2 dimensional systems.

1. What is Green's theorem?

Green's theorem, also known as the Green-Stokes theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a closed curve to the double integral of its curl over the region enclosed by the curve.

2. What is the significance of Green's theorem?

Green's theorem is significant because it allows us to solve for the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field without having to directly calculate the integral. It also has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the calculation of work done by a force field.

3. How is Green's theorem related to the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem is a higher-dimensional version of Green's theorem. While Green's theorem relates the line integral of a vector field to its curl, the divergence theorem relates the surface integral of a vector field to its divergence over a three-dimensional region.

4. What are the conditions for Green's theorem to be applicable?

Green's theorem is applicable when the region of integration is simply connected, meaning that there are no holes or gaps in the region. It also requires that the vector field is continuously differentiable in the region and its curl is continuous on the boundary of the region.

5. What are some real-world applications of Green's theorem and the divergence theorem?

Green's theorem and the divergence theorem have numerous applications in physics and engineering, such as in the calculation of electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and heat transfer. They are also used in areas such as computer graphics and image processing for image manipulation and transformation.