1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's Theorem over a circle

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve: ∫(-ydx+xdy)/(x2+y2) counterclockwise around x2+y2=4

2. Relevant equations
    Greens Theorem:
    ∫Pdx + Qdy = ∫∫(dQ/dx - dP/dy)dxdy

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using Greens Theorem variables, I get that:
    P = -y/(x2+y2) and
    Q=x/(x2+y2)

and thus dQ/dx = (y2-x2)/(y2+x2)2

and dP/dx = (y2-x2)/(y2+x2)2

So, ∫∫(dQ/dx - dP/dy)dxdy = ∫∫( (y2-x2)/(y2+x2)2 - (y2-x2)/(y2+x2)2)dxdy

... which means I'm integrating 0 (which can't be right as that would equal 0 over a definite integral). Not sure where I've gone wrong! Can anyone spot an error?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's wrong with zero? You have something against it??

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3
    Not at all! Just doesn't seem like the correct solution in this instance

5. Feb 10, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, looking more closely at your problem, I see that you have a singularity at (0,0). Perhaps you should try evaluating the integral directly.

6. Feb 10, 2013 #5
    I don't understand what you mean by evaluating it directly. My method was to use greens theorem and then (providing it didn't give me 0!) convert to polar coordinates and integrate over r and theta, thus the singularity wouldn't affect anything. Is this wrong?

7. Feb 10, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since you are integrating over a region that encloses a singularity, the hypotheses of Green's theorem are not fulfilled. Your function isn't even defined at (0,0). So you can't use Green's theorem. So just work the line integral out. I would suggest using the polar angle ##\theta## as your parameter.

8. Feb 10, 2013 #7
    Right, ok. Thank you very much for your help!

Sorry to be such a pain but I'm still a little baffled about the zero I'm getting. Just as a side note, suppose I was integrating that function over a region with no singularities (say circle centre (3,0), rad 1) would I still not be able to use Green's Theorem? If I did, I'd still be integrating zero, which still seems wrong in context.

9. Feb 10, 2013 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you could use Green's theorem in that case. And you would get zero. And there is nothing wrong with getting zero in a line integral. It happens all the time, for example when integrating around a closed loop in a conservative force field (under appropriate hypotheses). I don't know what "context" is bothering you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook