1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's theorem question

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a > 0, let [itex]C_a[/itex] be the circle [itex]x^2 + y^2 = a^2[/itex] (counter-clockwise orientation). Let [tex]\textbf{F} : R^2[/tex] \ {0} [tex]\rightarrow R^2[/tex] be the following vectorfield:
    [tex]\textbf{F}\left(x,y\right) = F_1\left(x,y\right)\textbf{i} + F_2\left(x,y\right)\textbf{j}[/tex]

Also given:
    [tex]\frac{\partial F_2}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial F_1}{\partial y} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex]
    [tex]\oint_{C_1} \textbf{F} \cdot d \textbf{r} = 1[/tex]

[tex]\oint_{C_a} \textbf{F} \cdot d \textbf{r}[/tex]
    for arbitrary a > 0.

2. Relevant equations
    Green's theorem:
    [tex]\oint_{C} \textbf{F} \cdot d \textbf{r} = \iint_R \left( \frac{\partial F_2}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial F_1}{\partial y} \right) \, dA[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    It is obvious that we should use Green's theorem, even if it's not explicitly mentioned in the question, but I fear that I'm using it where it is not valid...

Using Green's theorem directly I calculate:
    (R is the interior (surface) of the circle C_a)
    [tex]\oint_{C_a} \textbf{F} \cdot d \textbf{r} = \iint_R \left( \frac{\partial F_2}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial F_1}{\partial y} \right) \, dA = \iint_R \frac{dA}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex]
    [tex]= \iint_R \frac{dA}{a} = \frac{1}{a} \times \text{surface of R} = \pi a[/tex]

This answer is wrong, and my question is actually why?
    I don't need the actual answer to the question (I have it right here in fact) but I need to know why I cannot use green's theorem like this.

I can see two possible reasons:
    1. F needs to be smooth (0 is not included in the domain of F)
    2. The [tex]\frac{\partial F_2}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial F_1}{\partial y}[/tex] part needs to be smooth (it's now undefined at 0)

Which is the right reason? Or are they equivalent? I can't remember my teacher telling us F needs to be smooth but I expect he simply forgot...
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmmmm... does [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex] Really equal [itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex] everywhere in your region....or just on the boundary of the region?:wink:
  4. Nov 11, 2008 #3
    Oh wow, that was probably the worst mistake I ever made LOL!

Thanks for spotting that... :p
  5. Nov 12, 2008 #4
    from the definition of the problem and since the line integral would not be defined at r=0 my idea is that the line integral is not 0 but [tex] 2\pi [/tex]

it is a similar problem to 'Cauchy integral formula' on the complex plane but know we miss the ' i'
  6. Nov 12, 2008 #5
    Actually the answer is 1 + 2 pi (a - 1)

Let D be the region enclosed by the curves [tex]C_1[/tex] and [tex]C_a[/tex].
    For a < 1 we have:
    [tex]\oint_{C_1} \textbf{F} \cdot \textbf{dr} - \oint_{C_a} \textbf{F} \cdot \textbf{dr} = \iint_D \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\,dx\,dy = \int_0^{2\pi} \int_a^1 dr\,d\theta = 2\pi \left(1 - a\right)[/tex]
    And since the first integral on the left hand side is 1 (see problem statement) we have:
    [tex]\oint_{C_a} \textbf{F} \cdot \textbf{dr} = 1 - 2\pi(1-a) = 1 + 2\pi (a - 1)[/tex]

And a similar argument for a > 1 yields the same value.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?