Green's Theorem to evaluate the line integral

In summary, Green's Theorem is a mathematical tool used to evaluate line integrals in the context of vector calculus. It relates a line integral around a closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. The formula for Green's Theorem is ∫<sub>C</sub> Pdx + Qdy = ∬<sub>D</sub> (Q<sub>x</sub> - P<sub>y</sub>) dA, and it is applicable if the curve C is piecewise smooth and simple, and the functions P and Q have continuous partial derivatives on the region enclosed by C. Green's Theorem is an extension of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, and has various real-world applications in
ahhppull

Homework Statement

Use Green's Theorem to evaluate the line integral of the vector field F along the given positively oriented curve C.

F(x,y) = <sin(x^3) +x^2(y), 3xy-(x)(y^2)+e^(y^2)> and C is the boundary of the region enclosed by the semicircle y = √(4-x^2) and the x-axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the problem, but I just need someone to check my work.

Its hard to explain what I did in this forum, but I did the partial derivative of x from 3xy-(x)(y^2)+e^(y^2) and the partial of y from sin(x^3) +x^2(y). I subtracted these two and got 3y-y^2 - x^2.

Then I converted to polar coordinates. The domain is from 0<θ<pi and 0<r<2 and the function becomes 3(r^2)cosθ-r^3. I evaluated and got -8pi.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Your solution seems to be correct. To verify, I also used Green's Theorem and got the same result. Good job!

What is Green's Theorem and how is it used to evaluate line integrals?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical tool that relates a line integral around a closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. It is used to evaluate line integrals in the context of vector calculus.

What is the formula for Green's Theorem?

The formula for Green's Theorem is: ∫C Pdx + Qdy = ∬D (Qx - Py) dA, where C is a closed curve, P and Q are functions with continuous partial derivatives, and D is the region enclosed by the curve.

What are the conditions for Green's Theorem to be applicable?

Green's Theorem is applicable if the curve C is piecewise smooth and simple, and the functions P and Q have continuous partial derivatives on the region enclosed by C.

How is Green's Theorem related to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

Green's Theorem is an extension of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which relates a line integral to an antiderivative of a function. Green's Theorem extends this concept to vector fields and double integrals.

What are some real-world applications of Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate work done by a force along a closed path, as well as to calculate flux and circulation of vector fields. It is also used in fluid dynamics and electromagnetics to solve problems involving flow and circulation.