Understanding Greens Theorem: Exploring P and Q in Vector Calculus

In summary: This theorem states that the curl of a vector field is the sum of the curl of all the individual vector fields involved.
help1please

I understand Greens Theorem, been doing a bit of it recently, but I have perhaps a very... novice question.

What is P and Q exactly? They showed us on the board, but I am unsure what they are. Are they vectors? Or are they functions of a vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are x and y components of a vector, (P,Q), and if you're curious or have seen enough machinery, you might like to know that Pdx+Qdy=(P,Q).(dx,dy), that is, the dot product F.dr.

I often see it written as [tex]P_{(x,y)}[/tex] and [tex]P_{(x,y)}[/tex] and I am told that they are functions of x and y?

I knew the thingy about the dot product... that became obvious when translating it to vector form.

Well, what exactly is your question? Yes, the notation P(x,y) means that P is a function of the two variables x and y. You, for some reason, write that twice. Did you mean Q(x, y) for the second? It also means that Q is a function of the two variables x and y.

In Green's theorem, in the form
[tex]\oint P(x,y)dx+ Q(x,y)dy= \int\int\left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\right)dxdy[/tex]

P and Q are simply two functions of x and y. They can be pretty much any functions as long as they satisfy the hypotheses: they must have continuous partial derivatives inside and on the closed curve.

You can think of P and Q as the x and y components of a vector valued function, as algebrat suggests. Taking the z-component to be 0, the integrand on the right can be thought of as the "curl",
[tex]\nabla\times \vec{F}(x,y)= \left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\right)\vec{k}[/tex]
where [itex]\vec{F}(x,y)[/itex] is the vector valued function [itex]\vec{F}(x,y)= P(x,y)\vec{i}+ Q(x,y)\vec{j}[/itex].

In vector form, Green's theorem can written
[tex]\oint \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{\sigma}= \int\int \nabla\times \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{S}[/tex]
a special form of the "generalized Stoke's theorem".

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the line integral of a vector field around a closed curve to the double integral of the curl of the vector field over the region enclosed by the curve. It is named after the mathematician George Green.

Why is Green's Theorem important?

Green's Theorem is important because it provides a powerful tool for evaluating line integrals and double integrals in vector calculus. It is also a key concept in understanding the relationship between conservative vector fields and potential functions.

What is the difference between P and Q in Green's Theorem?

In Green's Theorem, P and Q refer to the components of a vector field. P represents the x-component and Q represents the y-component. These components are used to calculate the line integral and double integral in the theorem.

How do you use Green's Theorem to solve problems?

To use Green's Theorem, you first need to identify the closed curve and the vector field. Then, you can calculate the line integral and the double integral using the components P and Q. Finally, you can use the theorem to relate these integrals and solve the problem.

Are there any real-world applications of Green's Theorem?

Yes, Green's Theorem has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force on a moving object or the flow of fluid through a closed loop. It is also used in various fields such as electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer.