Evaluating Integral with Green's Theorem: x^2+y^2=9

In summary: Groovy, thank you very much for the help. My mind was definitely glitching on that one.Yes, you must have corrected it while I was typing.
MacLaddy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Use Green's Theorem to evaluate [itex]\int_c(x^2ydx+xy^2dy)[/itex], where c is the positively oriented circle, [itex]x^2+y^2=9[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int\int_R (\frac{\delta g}{\delta x}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y})dA[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found [itex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta x}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y}[/itex] to be [itex]y^2-x^2[/itex]

My hangup is moving forward. My integral will look like this,

[itex]\int\int_R [y^2-x^2]dA[/itex]

however, since the region is a circle I am integrating over should I convert this to polar? If I do, will my values in the integral be [itex]rcos^2\theta - rsin^2\theta[/itex], or since it's basically just a line integral, will it be [itex]3cos^2\theta - 3sin^2\theta[/itex]?

This setup is confusing me. Any help is appreciated. Am I integrating just the perimeter of the circle, or the entire thing?

Thanks,
Mac

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some typos / errors corrected below:
MacLaddy said:

Homework Statement

Use Green's Theorem to evaluate [itex]\int_c(\red{x}^2ydx+xy^2dy)[/itex], where c is the positively oriented circle, [itex]x^2+y^2=9[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int\int_R (\frac{\delta g}{\delta f}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y})dA[/tex]
Should be

[itex]\displaystyle \int\int_R (\frac{\delta g}{\delta x}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y})dA[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Following line corrected:
I have found [itex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta x}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y}[/itex] to be [itex]y^2-x^2[/itex]
My hangup is moving forward. My integral will look like this,

[itex]\int\int_R [y^2-x^2]dA[/itex]

however, since the region is a circle I am integrating over should I convert this to polar? If I do, will my values in the integral be [itex]rcos^2\theta - rsin^2\theta[/itex], or since it's basically just a line integral, will it be [itex]3cos^2\theta - 3sin^2\theta[/itex]?
The r's should be squared.

[itex]r^2\cos^2(\theta) - r^2\sin^2(\theta)[/itex]
This setup is confusing me. Any help is appreciated. Am I integrating just the perimeter of the circle, or the entire thing?

Thanks,
Mac
What integral do you get ?

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Some typos / errors corrected below:
Should be

[itex]\displaystyle \int\int_R (\frac{\delta g}{\delta f}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y})dA[/itex]

Following line corrected:

Sorry, this is confusing me. I fixed this [itex]\int\int_R (\frac{\delta g}{\delta f}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y})dA[/itex] to be [itex]\int\int_R (\frac{\delta g}{\delta x}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y})dA[/itex] this, but it may have been while you were typing. Let me know if there are still errors that I am missing.

SammyS said:
The r's should be squared.

[itex]r^2\cos^2(\theta) - r^2\sin^2(\theta)[/itex]What integral do you get ?

Well, if I convert to polar, and from what you are saying, it should be
[tex]\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^3[r^2 sin^2\theta - r^2 cos^2\theta]rdrd\theta[/tex]
Do I still use the additional r in the Jacobian when I am doing it this way? Or am I completely off base?

Thanks for the help.
Mac

Last edited:
MacLaddy said:
Sorry, this is confusing me. I fixed this [itex]\int\int_R (\frac{\delta g}{\delta f}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y})dA[/itex] to be [itex]\int\int_R (\frac{\delta g}{\delta x}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y})dA[/itex] this, but it may have been while you were typing. Let me know if there are still errors that I am missing.
Yes, you must have corrected it while I was typing.
Well, if I convert to polar, and from what you are saying, it should be
[tex]\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^3[r^2 sin^2\theta - r^2 cos^2\theta]rdrd\theta[/tex]
Do I still use the additional r in the Jacobian when I am doing it this way? Or am I completely off base?

Thanks for the help.
Mac
Of course you use the Jacobian. dxdy → rdrdθ .

SammyS said:
Of course you use the Jacobian. dxdy → rdrdθ .

Groovy, thank you very much for the help. My mind was definitely glitching on that one.

I evaluated the integral and it equaled 0, so I suppose there is no net rotation.

Mac

1. What is Green's Theorem and how is it used to evaluate integrals?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical technique used to evaluate line integrals over a closed curve. It relates a line integral around a closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. It is useful for solving problems involving the calculation of areas, work, or flux in two-dimensional vector fields.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration when using Green's Theorem to evaluate an integral?

The limits of integration in Green's Theorem are determined by the boundaries of the region enclosed by the curve. These boundaries can be determined by finding the points of intersection between the curve and the x and y axes.

3. Can Green's Theorem be used to evaluate integrals over non-closed curves?

No, Green's Theorem can only be used to evaluate integrals over closed curves. If the curve is not closed, then the theorem cannot be applied.

4. How do you know if Green's Theorem is applicable to a given problem?

Green's Theorem is applicable to problems involving the evaluation of line integrals over a closed curve in a two-dimensional vector field. If the problem involves calculating areas, work, or flux in a two-dimensional vector field, then Green's Theorem can be used.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using Green's Theorem to evaluate integrals?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions when using Green's Theorem. The curve must be simple and closed, and the vector field must be continuous and have continuous partial derivatives in the region enclosed by the curve. Additionally, the curve must be oriented in a counterclockwise direction.