1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's Theorem

1. Dec 11, 2012 #1

MacLaddy

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use Green's Theorem to evaluate [itex]\int_c(x^2ydx+xy^2dy)[/itex], where c is the positively oriented circle, [itex]x^2+y^2=9[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int\int_R (\frac{\delta g}{\delta x}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y})dA[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have found [itex]\frac{\delta g}{\delta x}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y}[/itex] to be [itex]y^2-x^2[/itex]

My hangup is moving forward. My integral will look like this,

[itex]\int\int_R [y^2-x^2]dA[/itex]

however, since the region is a circle I am integrating over should I convert this to polar? If I do, will my values in the integral be [itex]rcos^2\theta - rsin^2\theta[/itex], or since it's basically just a line integral, will it be [itex]3cos^2\theta - 3sin^2\theta[/itex]?

This setup is confusing me. Any help is appreciated. Am I integrating just the perimeter of the circle, or the entire thing?

Thanks,
    Mac

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Some typos / errors corrected below:
    Should be

[itex]\displaystyle \int\int_R (\frac{\delta g}{\delta x}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y})dA[/itex]
    Following line corrected:
    The r's should be squared.

[itex]r^2\cos^2(\theta) - r^2\sin^2(\theta)[/itex]
    What integral do you get ?

4. Dec 11, 2012 #3

MacLaddy

Gold Member

Sorry, this is confusing me. I fixed this [itex]\int\int_R (\frac{\delta g}{\delta f}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y})dA[/itex] to be [itex]\int\int_R (\frac{\delta g}{\delta x}-\frac{\delta f}{\delta y})dA[/itex] this, but it may have been while you were typing. Let me know if there are still errors that I am missing.

Well, if I convert to polar, and from what you are saying, it should be
    [tex]\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^3[r^2 sin^2\theta - r^2 cos^2\theta]rdrd\theta[/tex]
    Do I still use the additional r in the Jacobian when I am doing it this way? Or am I completely off base?

Thanks for the help.
    Mac

5. Dec 11, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you must have corrected it while I was typing.
    Of course you use the Jacobian. dxdy → rdrdθ .

6. Dec 11, 2012 #5

MacLaddy

Gold Member

Groovy, thank you very much for the help. My mind was definitely glitching on that one.

I evaluated the integral and it equaled 0, so I suppose there is no net rotation.

Mac

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook