1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's Theorem

1. Dec 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use Green's Theorum to evaluate the line integral c (x^2)y dx, where c is the unit circle centered at the origin.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Taking the partial derivative with respect to y and subtracting it from zero(I'm taking the dy in the original problem to be zero because there wasn't one), I set up the double integral:

∫y = -1 to y =1 ∫x = -sqrt(1 - (y^2)) to x = sqrt(1 - ( y^2)) -(x^2) dxdy

I'm just kind of confused because there is no dy in the problem, and I'm not sure why the answer was -π/4.
    I might not have set it up right because when I put the x bounds into -(x^3)/3, I'm not sure how to then integrate with respect to y.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Since the path is a circle about the origin have you thought of using polar coordinates?

4. Dec 10, 2014 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

You should first apply Green's theorem properly.

$$\oint_C \vec F \cdot d \vec r = \oint_C x^2y \space dx + 0 \space dy = \iint_D Q_x - P_y \space dA$$

Where ##\vec F = P \hat i + Q \hat j## and ##d \vec r = \vec r'(t) \space dt = x'(t) \hat i + y'(t) \hat j##.

So what are ##Q_x## and ##P_y##?

Now the curve ##C## is the unit circle ##x^2 + y^2 = 1## in a counter clockwise orientation. How do you parametrize a counter-clockwise circle around the origin? This should give you limits for ##r## and ##\theta##.

5. Dec 10, 2014 #4
    Thank you...this helped!

6. Dec 10, 2014 #5
    Thank you...that worked!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted