1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's Theorem

1. Feb 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use, using the result that for a simple closed curve C in the plane the area enclosed is:

A = (1/2)∫(x dy - y dx) to find the area inside the curve x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) = 4

2. Relevant equations
    Green's Theorem:
    ∫P dx + Q dy = ∫∫ dQ/dx - dP/dy

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved the equation of the curve for x:

x = (4 - y^(2/3))^(3/2)

Also, from the original curve equation x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) = 4, when x = 0, y = +/- 8 because 4^(3/2) = 8.

But when I plug x = +/- (4 - y^(2/3))^(3/2) in for the x bounds and y = +/- 8 in for the y bounds in the resulting double integral

(1/2)∫∫ 2 dxdy

I have trouble integrating x = (4 - y^(2/3))^(3/2) it with respect to y.

Does anybody happen to know if there is a more correct way to solve this problem?

Thank you for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The question does not want you to work the integral out by doing a double integral. It wants you to find a nice parameterization of the curve and do$$
    A = \frac 1 2 \int_C x~dy - y~dx$$ So your first job is to find a nice parameterization. As a hint think about a way to parameterize it so that you can use the identity ##(r\cos\theta)^2 + (r\sin\theta)^2 = r^2##.

4. Feb 12, 2015 #3
    Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted