Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Greg Bernhardt Appreciation Day?

1. Aug 26, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Some of you may not even be aware of the person that made this site possible and that spends way too much time trying to keep this forum going.

His name is Greg Bernhardt. (does someone have a link to the history of the forum?)

He's cute, he's smart, he and his dog have matching outfits, and this forum exists because of him.

Besides my obvious and thinly disguised attempt to ingratiate myself with him. :!!) <Evo pushes another box of strawberry-kiwi ringpops under Greg's door> I think that it would be nice if everyone here would just write a line or two to thank him and maybe say what PF means to you.

When I found PF, the sense of community, the level of intelligence, the lack of flaming, etc... just made this forum more appealing than any of the others I had visited.

I really hope that Greg doesn't ever get a real life and decide to sell off or close this forum. Too many of us just take for granted that it will be here every morning when we get up and never stop to realize how much work Greg puts into this place.

So, THANK YOU GREG!!!

(can I have my smilies now :uhh:)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2008 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, good work cowboy. I never normally call people 'cowboy' but you deserve it.

4. Aug 26, 2008 #3
    I'm lucky to second that as second, it seems, very well done Greg. It's a little island of reason and logic.

5. Aug 26, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you so much, Greg. This is a wonderful and unique site, and I appreciate what you do.

6. Aug 26, 2008 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks from me, too Greg. I'm here a lot - and though I get booted from chat pretty every few minutes at times, I enjoy that too. :grumpy:

7. Aug 26, 2008 #6
    Without being a physicist (though scientifically schooled) I love this forum mainly for the philosophy section where I can engage in debates with mostly logical and rational participants, something that is hard to find elsewhere. And this general discussion area is great for general entertainment populated by members of respectable caliber. Finally, I also learn a thing or two from the less relevant sections like, you know, physics and math... :wink: Thanks Greg, but also thanks to all participants who make it worthwhile.

8. Aug 26, 2008 #7
    Since you guilted me into it, Evo
    Thanks for PF, Greg. I can't believe you are still spending time here everyday. I remember when I first found PF, could it really have been 8-10 years ago, it was a lot slower paced back then, but I fell in love with this place. Over the years I've disappeared several times (usually because I get so mad when I get in trouble for not being suitable for children, but that's a different story) I always come back and soon find myself spending way too much time here. Everybody i know in real life thinks I have a friend named physics forums because I'm always saying stuff like "last night I was talking on physics forums and..."
    I'm just rambling now, so what I guess I'm trying to say is, "I love physics forums and I've always felt I deserved an honorary pass into the secret world of the mentor's pages and until I get some sort of recognition from you I'll keep on thinking of you as a sort of a pain in my butt." So thanks Greg, thanks a lot.

9. Aug 26, 2008 #8

berkeman

Thanks, Greg. The PF is a special place, where lots and lots of people can get help with technical questions. The theme of a well-moderated technical forum with such strong participants is really unique, and an extremely valuable web resource. Well done.

10. Aug 26, 2008 #9
    After all these years someone finally came up with an appreciation thread, hmm... :cool:

Well deserved indeed. This is the best forum out there. Thanks Greg

11. Aug 26, 2008 #10
    Thanks Greg!

( :eek: don't start putting ideas in his head now)

12. Aug 26, 2008 #11

Borek

How do we worship Greg? Everyone fishslaps itself? And on what day?

There is no doubt we should, we just have to agree on the ritual.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  13. Aug 26, 2008 #12
    Greg, thank you so much for being the Creator of the best place in this Universe :smile:
    May Science be with all PF members always
    What if Evo is putting ideas in our heads : let's buy PF from Greg and make it democratic : Greg, what's your price ? :devil:

Of course, if PF were democratic, then it would be just as the rest of the democratic places in this world : crappy :tongue2:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  14. Aug 26, 2008 #13
    how many millions is pf worth now? Here's an idea greg, Why don't you sell pf to us? say 200,000 shares of pf stock, keep 100,000 for yourself and sell the rest at 10 bucks a share. you get a cool million dollars and we (the talent) get a share of that advertising moolah. I haven't contributed to pf because I know you waste so much money on hookers, but I'd buy a few shares of pf stock.

15. Aug 26, 2008 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I found this picture from the early days when young Greg first began to dream that one day he would start a forum for physics on the internet.

[​IMG]

You've come a long way, PF. Good job, Greg. :smile:

16. Aug 26, 2008 #15

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What, the monthly virgin sacrifice that we perform at his altar is not sufficient already? :)

You know we all love you, Greg! :)

Zz.

17. Aug 26, 2008 #16

Doc Al

:confused: Greg who?

18. Aug 26, 2008 #17
    awww thanks evo and everyone! Of course I must insist I am but 1 cog in the wheel! I think we all equally share a role in PF's success. 1/3 to members, 1/3 to staff and 1/3 to me :biggrin: The past 8 years have been a blast and we're not stopping now! Afterall, the world is not ours yet! My ego is so big now it will require two usernames, stay tuned! :biggrin:

Well you sure know how to ask! :smile:

Could this be the start of the cult I always wanted? Koolaid anyone? :wink:

SOLD! Now i'm off to the ice cream shop :tongue2:

19. Aug 26, 2008 #18
    Doc's used to just calling me "Ma Lord". :tongue2:

20. Aug 26, 2008 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

21. Aug 26, 2008 #20

Evo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?