Greg Bernhardt Appreciation Day?

In summary, Greg Bernhardt created and maintains the Physics Forum, which is a valuable resource for technical discussions. Many of us appreciate his work and would be sad if he ever stopped providing the forum.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Some of you may not even be aware of the person that made this site possible and that spends way too much time trying to keep this forum going.

His name is Greg Bernhardt. (does someone have a link to the history of the forum?)

He's cute, he's smart, he and his dog have matching outfits, and this forum exists because of him.

Besides my obvious and thinly disguised attempt to ingratiate myself with him. :!) <Evo pushes another box of strawberry-kiwi ringpops under Greg's door> I think that it would be nice if everyone here would just write a line or two to thank him and maybe say what PF means to you.

When I found PF, the sense of community, the level of intelligence, the lack of flaming, etc... just made this forum more appealing than any of the others I had visited.

I really hope that Greg doesn't ever get a real life and decide to sell off or close this forum. Too many of us just take for granted that it will be here every morning when we get up and never stop to realize how much work Greg puts into this place.

So, THANK YOU GREG!

(can I have my smilies now :uhh:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, good work cowboy. I never normally call people 'cowboy' but you deserve it.

I'm lucky to second that as second, it seems, very well done Greg. It's a little island of reason and logic.

Thank you so much, Greg. This is a wonderful and unique site, and I appreciate what you do.

Thanks from me, too Greg. I'm here a lot - and though I get booted from chat pretty every few minutes at times, I enjoy that too. :grumpy:

Without being a physicist (though scientifically schooled) I love this forum mainly for the philosophy section where I can engage in debates with mostly logical and rational participants, something that is hard to find elsewhere. And this general discussion area is great for general entertainment populated by members of respectable caliber. Finally, I also learn a thing or two from the less relevant sections like, you know, physics and math... :wink: Thanks Greg, but also thanks to all participants who make it worthwhile.

Since you guilted me into it, Evo
Thanks for PF, Greg. I can't believe you are still spending time here everyday. I remember when I first found PF, could it really have been 8-10 years ago, it was a lot slower paced back then, but I fell in love with this place. Over the years I've disappeared several times (usually because I get so mad when I get in trouble for not being suitable for children, but that's a different story) I always come back and soon find myself spending way too much time here. Everybody i know in real life thinks I have a friend named physics forums because I'm always saying stuff like "last night I was talking on physics forums and..."
I'm just rambling now, so what I guess I'm trying to say is, "I love physics forums and I've always felt I deserved an honorary pass into the secret world of the mentor's pages and until I get some sort of recognition from you I'll keep on thinking of you as a sort of a pain in my butt." So thanks Greg, thanks a lot.

Thanks, Greg. The PF is a special place, where lots and lots of people can get help with technical questions. The theme of a well-moderated technical forum with such strong participants is really unique, and an extremely valuable web resource. Well done.

After all these years someone finally came up with an appreciation thread, hmm... :cool:

Well deserved indeed. This is the best forum out there. Thanks Greg

Thanks Greg!

Evo said:
I really hope that Greg doesn't ever get a real life and decide to sell off or close this forum.

( :eek: don't start putting ideas in his head now)

How do we worship Greg? Everyone fishslaps itself? And on what day?

There is no doubt we should, we just have to agree on the ritual.

Last edited:
Borek said:
Greg, thank you so much for being the Creator of the best place in this Universe :smile:
May Science be with all PF members always
Evo said:
I really hope that Greg doesn't ever get a real life and decide to sell off or close this forum.
moe darklight said:
:eek: don't start putting ideas in his head now
What if Evo is putting ideas in our heads : let's buy PF from Greg and make it democratic : Greg, what's your price ? :devil:

Of course, if PF were democratic, then it would be just as the rest of the democratic places in this world : crappy :tongue2:

Last edited:
how many millions is pf worth now? Here's an idea greg, Why don't you sell pf to us? say 200,000 shares of pf stock, keep 100,000 for yourself and sell the rest at 10 bucks a share. you get a cool million dollars and we (the talent) get a share of that advertising moolah. I haven't contributed to pf because I know you waste so much money on hookers, but I'd buy a few shares of pf stock.

I found this picture from the early days when young Greg first began to dream that one day he would start a forum for physics on the internet.

http://www.digitalscrapbookplace.com/gallery/data/3292/ringpop.jpg

You've come a long way, PF. Good job, Greg. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Some of you may not even be aware of the person that made this site possible and that spends way too much time trying to keep this forum going.

His name is Greg Bernhardt. (does someone have a link to the history of the forum?)

He's cute, he's smart, he and his dog have matching outfits, and this forum exists because of him.

Besides my obvious and thinly disguised attempt to ingratiate myself with him. :!) <Evo pushes another box of strawberry-kiwi ringpops under Greg's door> I think that it would be nice if everyone here would just write a line or two to thank him and maybe say what PF means to you.

What, the monthly virgin sacrifice that we perform at his altar is not sufficient already? :)

You know we all love you, Greg! :)

Zz.

:confused: Greg who?

awww thanks evo and everyone! Of course I must insist I am but 1 cog in the wheel! I think we all equally share a role in PF's success. 1/3 to members, 1/3 to staff and 1/3 to me :biggrin: The past 8 years have been a blast and we're not stopping now! Afterall, the world is not ours yet! My ego is so big now it will require two usernames, stay tuned! :biggrin:

Evo said:
So, THANK YOU GREG!

(can I have my smilies now :uhh:)
Well you sure know how to ask! :smile:

Borek said:

There is no doubt we should, we just have to agree on the ritual.

Could this be the start of the cult I always wanted? Koolaid anyone? :wink:

humanino said:
What if Evo is pulling ideas in our heads : let's buy PF from Greg and make it democratic : Greg, what's your price ? :devil:
SOLD! Now I'm off to the ice cream shop :tongue2:

Or an anthem? O' mighty dictator?

Greg Bernhardt said:
My sister thinks we should develop a PF theme song or I thought a rap. :biggrin:
We could upload it to youtube.

you know that Who song that goes "Teen AGE WASTE land" does anyone else hear "Phy SICS FOR ums"

Greg, what a jolly good chap, one thinks he deserves a medal.

Okay, here's my quickie attempt at a theme song for PF. It's sung to the theme song from MASH. I don't have a title yet.

Greg Bern-hardt was failing school.
His teacher thought he was a fool.

Then Greg invented something great.
His teacher said, "You Grad-u-ate"

chorus
that's how Physics Forums started
and us nerds are so glad hearted
cause no longer do we have to be alone.
we can socialize while never leaving home

Last edited:
tribdog said:
Okay, here's my quickie attempt at a theme song for PF. It's sung to the theme song from MASH. I don't have a title yet.

Greg Bern-hardt was failing school.
His teacher thought he was a fool.

Then Greg invented something great.
His teacher said, "You Grad-u-ate"

chorus
that's how Physics Forums started
and us nerds are so glad hearted
cause no longer do we have to be alone.

Well, he wasn't failing, he just needed an extra credit to get a better grade, but I guess that would be hard to rhyme.

Gracias Greg, por estos foros de física! y pues adelante! :smile:

Thank you, Greg!

This site has the best management framework =)

Thank you Greg!

Will we have to hear the PF Anthem every time we log on?

I associate PF with The Jetsons theme since chat started.

Kurdt said:
Will we have to hear the PF Anthem every time we log on?

Yes. And put it on a constant loop! Nothing says professional website like those where a MIDI loop plays endlessly.

O, how I miss early 2000's internet.

And also add a gif animation of a dancing cat to follow the mouse!

moe darklight said:
Yes. And put it on a constant loop! Nothing says professional website like those where a MIDI loop plays endlessly.

O, how I miss early 2000's internet.

And also add a gif animation of a dancing cat to follow the mouse!
And a little scottie-dog running in place endlessly across the title bar.

tribdog said:
you know that Who song that goes "Teen AGE WASTE land" does anyone else hear "Phy SICS FOR ums"
Bargain would be better. Won't Get Fooled Again is a bit too long perhaps.

PF is a great place! Thanks, Greg!

And thanks to Greg's mom and dad. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
I associate PF with The Jetsons theme since chat started.
Oooh, me too! The Anthem needs to be to the tune of the Jetson's theme song.

moe darklight said:
Oh, I "so" agree. :approve: