Who wants free books? Claim your copy now!

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: What is your view regarding the accuracy of physics in the...book?I haven't read it yet, but I trust the author's expertise.
Too long have my books sat unloved! It's time to do something about it!

I'm willing to ship my used books to PF members for free. Yes free!

All you have to do is be the first to claim a book when I list it in this thread.

Here are the conditions:
1. One book per member per month
2. Member must have registered at least 1 month from book listing date
3. Member must have at least 25 posts
4. Member must live within the Continental United States

If you meet the conditions, to claim a book simply write a post saying so. I'll verify and if everything checks out, I'll private message you for your mailing address and ship the book out within a week.

That's it! Easy! The first 5 books will be posted shortly. More books will be listed at random intervals. Check back often!

Last edited:
Likes hideelo, Nick O, guitarphysics and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Here are the first 5 books. Claim them now! If you miss out, don't worry, I'll be posting more each week.

Title: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0385477058/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Author: Michio Kaku

Hyperspace_Kaku_1995.jpg

Title: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0385484992/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Author: Michio Kaku

visions-michio-kaku-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

Title: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0061965804/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Author: James Rollins

98807.jpg

Title: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0684818221/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Author: Paul Davies

http://www.bookiemonster.co.nz/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/CCI08122009_00000-202x300.jpg
Title: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0061929387/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Author: Michael Crichton

Pirate_Latitudes.jpg

Title: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0439023521/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Author: Suzanne Collins

hunger-games-book-1.jpg

Last edited:
Likes RJLiberator
That's great but if you shared your ebooks, it'd have been greater!:biggrin:

Likes icecubebeast
Lisa! said:
Alas, I have no ebooks :(

Likes dextercioby
Wow. A glimpse into your life. :approve:

Likes jedishrfu
Well, this is awesome. Cheers.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Here are the first 5 books. Claim them now! If you miss out, don't worry, I'll be posting more each week.

No computer science? =/ ... =)

4. Member must live within the Continental United States.
Bummer.

SixNein said:
No computer science? =/ ... =)
Maybe in the next listing :)

Likes RJLiberator
Lisa! said:

Personally I still like to turn pages :D

No bites yet! How about some feedback? Uninteresting books? Difficult conditions? Books are passe now? :)

The title makes me think you're going to share your books as free downloads. :DD

I should also add that book recipients receive an exclusive PF pen! :)

Likes dlgoff
Wait, I don't have an exclusive PF pen. :oldcry:

An easy solution might be to grab a book.

Great initiative! Any left-over books can also be marked with PF, registered with bookcrossing.com and left in public places "if you love your books, let them go" - The New York Times.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Giving books away to the crowd who hang out around here is not unlike "carrying coals to Newcastle."

Giving books away to the crowd who hang out around here is not unlike "carrying coals to Newcastle."
Though I don't know exactly what carrying coals to Newcastle means, I can imagine. But maybe I should read more books about Newcastle :nb).
But then, you cannot only feed the hungry or starving - gluttony in respect to knowledge is the best kind I can think of. The mortality directly connected to people not eating enough books should be pretty low. o0)

Or wait, maybe not? :))

The bottom line is: I think this is a cool initiative, though I cannot grab any books. But I can understand that. I once ordered a small device (3 lbs) from the USA and got charged around 60 US$ for shipping. But I am still thinking the shop did not cut the best deal for me.

DarthMatter said:
(3 lbs) from the USA and got charged around 60 US$ for shipping
Overseas is brutal. I've heard of worse.

Edit: $1.50 - $2.00 a pound to ship to the antipodes; then $55 a pkg. for it to be X-rayed, EMP'ed, folded, spindled, mutilated, sniffed & piddled on by drug dogs, fumigated and quarantined on either end --- not too bad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the rescue, jedishrfu!

$1.50 - $2.00 a pound to ship to the antipodes; then $55 a pkg. for it to be X-rayed, EMP'ed, folded, spindled, mutilated, sniffed & piddled on by drug dogs, fumigated and quarantined on either end --- not too bad.
Wow I must be pretty naive. Never thought of that. But if you take away the slight exaggeration this is probably not untrue.

May I claim
Great Ideas in Physics?
:)

I_am_learning said:
May I claim
Great Ideas in Physics?
:)
Claimed! PM me your mailing address :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Claimed! PM me your mailing address :)
Thanks.
Some review I read about the book warned against some wrong physics in the book. For example a review said that the book incorrectly says that all molecular motion (including vibration) stops at absolute zero.
What is your view regarding the accuracy of physics in the book?

Evo said:
Wait, I don't have an exclusive PF pen. :oldcry:
How about a pencil instead? :olduhh:

dlgoff said:
How about a pencil instead? :olduhh:
Yeah... I got a few of those :D

Likes dlgoff
How sad I don't live in the US. :(

Greg Bernhardt said:
No bites yet! How about some feedback? Uninteresting books? Difficult conditions? Books are passe now? :)

I'm waiting for a book that will help me with my studies in the next few years :p. You have some VERY interesting books that I would love (I'm sure based off the first 5 already), so I am being patient for the one that will help me most :D.

3 books getting shipped tomorrow. Let's get those last two claimed and then I will add more books. :)

RJLiberator said:
I'm waiting for a book that will help me with my studies in the next few years [emoji14]. You have some VERY interesting books that I would love (I'm sure based off the first 5 already), so I am being patient for the one that will help me most :D.
Same here. Thanks, Greg!

Greg, that is just a wonderful gesture! Thank you very much.

Likes TheDemx27
Greg gave away Foundation? Should I be sad that he doesn't value scripture? Or should I rejoice that he has memorized every word of it, and is now giving it away as an act of proselytization?

<h2>1. Who is eligible to claim free books?</h2><p>Anyone can claim free books! There are no restrictions on age, location, or profession. As long as you are interested in reading and learning, you are welcome to claim your copy.</p><h2>2. How many free books can I claim?</h2><p>You can claim one free book per offer. However, there may be multiple offers available at different times, so be sure to keep an eye out for new opportunities to claim free books.</p><h2>3. Are there any hidden costs or fees?</h2><p>No, there are no hidden costs or fees associated with claiming free books. The books are completely free, and you will not be asked to pay for shipping or any other charges.</p><h2>4. How do I claim my free book?</h2><p>To claim your free book, simply follow the instructions provided in the offer. This may include filling out a form, providing your email address, or taking a survey. Once you have completed the necessary steps, your free book will be on its way to you.</p><h2>5. Can I choose which book I receive for free?</h2><p>In most cases, yes, you can choose which book you would like to receive for free. However, some offers may have a specific book that is being offered for free. In these cases, you can decide whether or not you want to claim that particular book.</p>

1. Who is eligible to claim free books?

Anyone can claim free books! There are no restrictions on age, location, or profession. As long as you are interested in reading and learning, you are welcome to claim your copy.

2. How many free books can I claim?

You can claim one free book per offer. However, there may be multiple offers available at different times, so be sure to keep an eye out for new opportunities to claim free books.

3. Are there any hidden costs or fees?

No, there are no hidden costs or fees associated with claiming free books. The books are completely free, and you will not be asked to pay for shipping or any other charges.

4. How do I claim my free book?

To claim your free book, simply follow the instructions provided in the offer. This may include filling out a form, providing your email address, or taking a survey. Once you have completed the necessary steps, your free book will be on its way to you.

5. Can I choose which book I receive for free?

In most cases, yes, you can choose which book you would like to receive for free. However, some offers may have a specific book that is being offered for free. In these cases, you can decide whether or not you want to claim that particular book.