Greiner Field Quantization

In summary, the conversation revolved around the book "Field Quantization" by Greiner. The individual was interested in buying the book but was concerned about the negative reviews regarding the margins in the newest printing. They were unable to find older editions for sale and asked for advice on where to purchase it. Another individual suggested using abebooks as a resource. The original individual decided to take a chance and purchase the book for $20.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
Greiner "Field Quantization"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540780483/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I really, really want to buy this book. However, the amazon reviews seem to echo the statement that the margins in the newest printing are completely screwed up and actually make reading the book painful. Unfortunately I do not have any access to this newest printing so I cannot judge for myself. I also cannot find any copies of the older printing for sale online and the only copy in my library has been checked out.

So my questions are: does anyone know of a site with the older printing for sale and/or can anyone who owns a copy of the newest printing let me know if the amazon review comments regarding the book margins are hyperbole or accurate as to the unusable nature of the newest printing?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the professors I do research with has this book, not sure when he bought it (< 2 years ago for sure, and it looked like the 2nd edition) but the margins seemed fine when I used it.

Maybe try abebooks? They are a good resource for some niche books and international editions of textbooks, at a first glance, it seems they have several 1st editions for sale.

http://www.abebooks.com/

Thank you Sentin3l! The book is only $20 for the newest printing so I'll take a chance and buy it and hopefully it turns out to be identical to the one you used :)

WannabeNewton said:
Thank you Sentin3l! The book is only $20 for the newest printing so I'll take a chance and buy it and hopefully it turns out to be identical to the one you used :)
Sorry for being a bit late, but have you found it on abebooks? And if you did, what was the quality of the paper and what is your verdict for this book?

1. What is Greiner Field Quantization?

Greiner Field Quantization is a mathematical framework used in quantum field theory to describe the interactions between particles and fields at the subatomic level. It is a method of quantizing fields, which means converting them from continuous classical values to discrete quantum values.

2. How does Greiner Field Quantization differ from other quantization methods?

Greiner Field Quantization differs from other quantization methods, such as canonical quantization, by taking into account the symmetries of the system being quantized. This leads to a more accurate and consistent description of the quantum behavior of particles and fields.

3. What is the importance of Greiner Field Quantization in quantum physics?

Greiner Field Quantization is an essential tool in understanding the behavior of particles and fields at the subatomic level. It allows for the calculation of physical quantities, such as energy and momentum, and provides a framework for predicting and interpreting experimental results.

4. Can Greiner Field Quantization be applied to all systems?

No, Greiner Field Quantization is most commonly used in quantum field theory, which describes the behavior of particles and fields in the quantum realm. It is not typically used in classical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to Greiner Field Quantization?

Like any mathematical framework, Greiner Field Quantization has its limitations. It may not accurately describe systems with very strong interactions or systems with large numbers of particles. In these cases, other methods such as perturbation theory may be used.