Double Majors & GREs: Math & Physics Tests for Grad School

• Programs
  • Thread starter laminatedevildoll
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around whether someone with a double major in Pure Math/Physics would need to take both the Math and Physics GRE subject tests for graduate school. The general consensus was that the GRE subject test should be taken in the area of study for graduate school, unless the person plans on doing a double major in graduate school as well. However, there may be exceptions to this rule, such as in the case of mathematics and economics. Additionally, some schools may not require the GRE for entry into their program, but this may only apply to certain levels of study.
laminatedevildoll
I am double major in Pure Math/Physics. So do I have to take both the Math and the Physics GRE subject tests? Do you think it'll look better for graduate school?

Physics news on Phys.org
laminatedevildoll said:
I am double major in Pure Math/Physics. So do I have to take both the Math and the Physics GRE subject tests? Do you think it'll look better for graduate school?

Er... you take the GRE Subject test in the area that you are going to major in in graduate school, unless you have the impression that you can do a double major in graduate school also [of which I suggest you do a search on here and see the opinons already posted on this subject].

Zz.

To elaborate further on Zz's point, you take whatever GRE(s) is(are) required by the programs to which you are applying. It may not be the same for all programs, even in the same field.

I've heard there's an exception to this rule with mathematics and economics (if going to grad school for economics). Can anyone validate/disprove this?

The school I am planning to attend (a state school) does not require the GRE for entry in their program. I must add though that it is only a Masters level program. They have no Doctoral program in Mathematics at this time.

1. What is the benefit of pursuing a double major in math and physics for grad school?

A double major in math and physics provides a strong foundation in quantitative skills and problem-solving abilities, which are highly valued in many graduate programs. It also allows for a more interdisciplinary approach to research and coursework, giving students a broader perspective and more opportunities for collaboration.

2. Will having a double major in math and physics give me an advantage on the GRE?

While there is no direct correlation between a double major in math and physics and performance on the GRE, the skills and knowledge gained from these majors can certainly help in preparing for the math and science sections of the exam. However, it is important to note that the GRE is just one aspect of the graduate school application process and should not be the sole focus of a double major.

3. Do I need to take the GRE subject tests for math and physics if I have a double major in these subjects?

It depends on the specific requirements of the graduate programs you are applying to. Some may require or recommend taking the subject tests, while others may not. It is important to research the requirements of each program you are interested in and plan accordingly.

4. Can I substitute my double major for taking the GRE subject tests?

In most cases, no. The GRE subject tests are specifically designed to assess a student's knowledge and understanding in a particular subject, while a double major may not cover all the topics included on the tests. It is best to take the subject tests as they are required or recommended by the graduate programs you are applying to.

5. Is it necessary to have a double major in math and physics to be successful in grad school?

No, it is not necessary. While a double major may provide a strong foundation in quantitative skills and a broader perspective, there are many successful graduate students who only have a single major in either math or physics. What is most important is being passionate and dedicated to your chosen field of study.