1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GREs for double majors

1. Oct 16, 2005 #1
    I am double major in Pure Math/Physics. So do I have to take both the Math and the Physics GRE subject tests? Do you think it'll look better for graduate school?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er... you take the GRE Subject test in the area that you are going to major in in graduate school, unless you have the impression that you can do a double major in graduate school also [of which I suggest you do a search on here and see the opinons already posted on this subject].

4. Oct 16, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To elaborate further on Zz's point, you take whatever GRE(s) is(are) required by the programs to which you are applying. It may not be the same for all programs, even in the same field.
  5. Oct 16, 2005 #4
    I've heard there's an exception to this rule with mathematics and economics (if going to grad school for economics). Can anyone validate/disprove this?
  6. Oct 16, 2005 #5
    The school I am planning to attend (a state school) does not require the GRE for entry in their program. I must add though that it is only a Masters level program. They have no Doctoral program in Mathematics at this time.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?