Troubleshooting a Grey Spot in Camera Pictures

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pictures
In summary, the camera has a dust sensor on the inside that can be cleaned with a tiny screwdriver that has been rounded on the tip, but if the screwdriver is lost or damaged, then it may not be possible to clean the sensor.
leroyjenkens
Here's a picture of the grey spot that's in my pictures. I can see it on the screen on the back of the camera when I'm taking the picture. I cleaned the lens, and it's definitely not on the outside. If it's something on the inside, how would I fix that?
My camera has just been sitting on my table and I wanted to take a picture of something today with a white background and that's when I noticed the spot. I never noticed it before, so it either wasn't there, or everything I've ever looked at with the camera has had colors that make it blend in, which I doubt.
Thanks

You can see the spot next to "member photo thread."

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
Hm ... I've seen exactly that on my pics sometimes but every time I do I get out my 10X loupe and sure enough, there's a speck of dust on the outside of the lens. If you have one on the inside, I don't see how you are going to get rid of it short of getting a new camera.

Most likely that is dust. I used to get them all the time depending on the environment you are taking photos in.

If you don't trust yourself taking the camera apart, take it to a good camera shop, they should be able to take it apart and clean it. This happened to me in one move (large national professional carrier), one idiot completely disassembled my Nikon and threw the pieces into a box, I won't go off topic with the other things this moron did. Yes, the Nikon had been in a leather case, I had boxes for special lenses and filters.

I got the camera used on Ebay for 25 dollars, but it's a good camera. It's a Panasonic Lumix. I had a Panasonic Lumix stolen on vacation and bought another one because I liked it so much. I don't trust myself taking it apart, so how much do you think it would cost to get it taken apart professionally? The fact that the camera was cheap to begin with makes me wary of spending money to get it fixed.
How does dust get on the inside? Maybe when the telescopic lens goes in and out when I turn it on and off?

I tried using a tiny screwdriver that was slightly too big for the screws. I got all but one of the screws out and it seems to have stripped the screwdriver. Now it's just rounded on the very tip. This is annoying.

If dust can get in, then maybe I can just blow it out?

Thanks.

leroyjenkens said:
I got the camera used on Ebay for 25 dollars, but it's a good camera. It's a Panasonic Lumix. I had a Panasonic Lumix stolen on vacation and bought another one because I liked it so much. I don't trust myself taking it apart, so how much do you think it would cost to get it taken apart professionally? The fact that the camera was cheap to begin with makes me wary of spending money to get it fixed.
How does dust get on the inside? Maybe when the telescopic lens goes in and out when I turn it on and off?

I tried using a tiny screwdriver that was slightly too big for the screws. I got all but one of the screws out and it seems to have stripped the screwdriver. Now it's just rounded on the very tip. This is annoying.

If dust can get in, then maybe I can just blow it out?

Thanks.
Take it to a camera shop and have them look at it and show them some photos it might be something very simple, they may not even charge you. But ask them before you let them do it.

Evo said:
Take it to a camera shop and have them look at it and show them some photos it might be something very simple, they may not even charge you. But ask them before you let them do it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I emailed a camera repair shop near me to see what they think. I like the idea of not charging me.

leroyjenkens said:
I got the camera used on Ebay for 25 dollars, but it's a good camera. It's a Panasonic Lumix.
My first digital was a panasonic lumix. I bought it brand new, and it cost something over $250.00, so, you got a great deal at $25.00.

Anyway, if you google "panasonic lumix sensor cleaning" you'll see this is not an uncommon problem with that camera. You probably have dust on the sensor. There are two different youtubes on how to take it apart and clean it, and a few other written descriptions.

I'm not recommending anything in particular since I haven't had this problem and haven't had to tackle a solution. Just sayin' info is out there.

I have a Panasonic Lumix, which also appears to have dust on the sensor. I'm considering disassembling it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. In addition to the dust, the zoom tab has gotten finicky - it sometimes zooms in the wrong direction.

1. What causes the grey spot in pictures?

The most common cause of a grey spot in pictures is a dirty camera lens. Dust, fingerprints, or other debris on the lens can obstruct light and create a grey spot in the image. Make sure to regularly clean your camera lens to avoid this issue.

2. Can the grey spot be fixed or removed?

In most cases, the grey spot can be fixed or removed. If it is caused by a dirty lens, cleaning the lens will usually solve the problem. However, if it is caused by a camera malfunction or damage, it may not be possible to remove the grey spot.

3. Why does the grey spot only appear in some pictures?

The grey spot may only appear in some pictures because it is dependent on the composition of the image. If the spot is caused by a dirty lens, it may only be noticeable in certain lighting conditions or when the camera is focused on a specific area.

4. Is the grey spot a sign of a more serious issue with my camera?

In most cases, a grey spot in pictures is not a sign of a serious issue with the camera. As mentioned before, it is usually caused by a dirty lens and can be easily fixed. However, if the spot is persistent and unaffected by cleaning the lens, it may be a sign of a malfunction or damage and should be checked by a professional.

5. Can I prevent grey spots from appearing in my pictures?

To prevent grey spots from appearing in your pictures, it is important to regularly clean your camera lens and protect it from dust and debris. Additionally, be careful when changing lenses and avoid touching the lens with your fingers. If you notice a persistent grey spot, have your camera checked by a professional to ensure there are no underlying issues.