Greywater Solutions for Home Reuse

• Thread starter nickindustrial
  • Start date
In summary, Pantaz is an industrial design student who is looking into the potential reuse of greywater. He has found many resources on the topic and is looking for input on a product or system that can put greywater back in circulation in the home.
nickindustrial
hey guys,

Im an industrial design student. Have recently taken on a project involving the potential reuse of greywater. For those that don't know what greywater is, to put it plainly, its 56% of all waste water that is treated by sewage plants. In general its all water that leaves the home excluding toilet water and kitchen sink water.

At the moment greywater is used mostly for irrigation purposes, which is already reducing the amount of potable water used. But i want to devise a product or system that can put this water back in circulation of the home to reduce the surge of water from the grid.
Any thoughts and recommendations into existing or technologies that my assist this project would be highly appreciated.

look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks, nick

Engineering news on Phys.org
I didn't realize residential housing had separate blackwater and graywater waste lines, though I was pretty sure that in trailers, which do, the graywater included the kitchen sink...basically everything but the toilet water.

Regardless, in the "old days" people used to use the wastewater from doing laundry to water the garden. It's an efficient use of the water plus the detergent in it helps deter pests (our greenhouses still use a little detergent mixed in with an ethanol and water solution instead of commercial insecticides...mostly because of liability issues with students in the greenhouses...it works really well, and I've used it to treat infested plants as well), so it makes good sense to use it for irrigation if one can separate out the wastewater streams.

Nice response by pantaz. I'm going to move this thread to General Engineering for now, to get it some additional views.

thanks a lot for the help guys, I am pretty new to this forum but every bit helps

What is greywater?

Greywater is any domestic wastewater that has not been contaminated by toilet waste, such as water from sinks, showers, and laundry machines. It can be collected for reuse in non-potable applications, such as irrigation and toilet flushing.

Why should I implement greywater solutions in my home?

Implementing greywater solutions can help reduce water usage and save money on water bills. It also reduces the strain on municipal water treatment facilities and conserves freshwater resources.

What are some common greywater reuse systems for homes?

The most common greywater reuse systems for homes include simple systems such as a gravity-fed diversion system, which diverts greywater from a single fixture for outdoor irrigation, and more complex systems like a pumped and filtered system that allows for greywater to be reused indoors for toilet flushing and outdoor irrigation.

Are there any health risks associated with greywater reuse?

When treated and used properly, greywater reuse poses minimal health risks. However, it is important to follow proper guidelines and regulations for storage, treatment, and use to ensure that the greywater is not contaminated and does not pose a risk to human health.

What factors should I consider when choosing a greywater reuse system for my home?

Some factors to consider when choosing a greywater reuse system for your home include your budget, the amount and quality of greywater produced in your household, and the intended use for the reused water. It is also important to research and comply with local regulations and codes.