1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grids and Pascal's Triangle

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The streets of a city are laid out in a rectangular gird, as shown below

pbmlY.png

a) Use combinations to find the number of routes through the grid that lead from point A to point B by only travelling north or east. Show your calculations

b) How many of these routes pass through intersections C

2. Alright, so I've solved similar questions before. I get to P(66,6)/6! only to get some absurd answer. I understand that from point A to point B there is a distance of 66 blocks-11 east, 6 north. Somehow I believe that the exponential answer that comes from this is not what my professor expects.

I was wondering if I could have help with this please and thank you :D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2
    How did you get 66 blocks? No matter how you travel, the most you could possibly get is 17 (11 east + 6 north). Multiplying gives you the area, not the distance.

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    Whoops, lmao, sorry long day, that makes so much sense, I know what to do from here lol

5. Apr 22, 2012 #4
    Np, I know the feeling, gl :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook