1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Griffith's 3.33

1. Oct 1, 2015 #1
    I am "continuing this thread" in hopes of asking questions that deal with the meaning of the question. https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...dipole-moment-in-coordinate-free-form.359973/
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the electric field of a "pure" dipole can be written in the coordinate-free form
    $$E_{dip}(r)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r^3}[3(\vec p\cdot \hat r)\hat r-\vec p].$$
    2. Relevant equations
    $$E_{dip}(r)=\frac{p}{4\pi\epsilon_0r^3}(2\cos \hat r+\sin\theta \hat \theta)$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am trying to understand what "coordinate free" means. If the answer is in terms of r hat and theta hat, doesnt that contradict "coordinate free"? AND i would get $$ p = pcos(\theta) \hat r - psin(\theta) \hat \theta $$. Why doesn't p depend on PHI? If it's coordinate free why are we restricting our coordinates to r and theta??

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Coordinate free" means you don't need to define the coordinate system to write your equation. ##\hat{r}## is a unit vector from the center of the dipole to the observation point, so given the orientation of ##\mathbf{p}## in space, the relative direction of ##\hat{r}## with respect to ##\mathbf{p}## will automatically follow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted