Griffiths E&M: Need Help with Plate Distance?

In summary, The person is confused about what the answer should be in terms of, as usually all constants needed in the answer are given. They are unsure if the distance between the plates is necessary for the answer. The response suggests introducing a variable for the distance and seeing if it cancels out in the final answer. The person also mentions that the problem asks for the fraction by which the capacitance is increased and mentions potential, electric field, and polarization. They ask if the dielectric affects the electric field in the vacuum regions between the plates.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

This question refers to Griffiths E and M book.

I am confused about what the answer should be in terms of. Usually he gives us all constants that might be needed in the answer. But we need to know that distance between the plates here don't we?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't looked at the problem, but maybe the answer doesn't depend on it. You can just introduce a variable for it (like, call the distance d) and see if it cancels out in the final answer.

ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement

This question refers to Griffiths E and M book.

I am confused about what the answer should be in terms of. Usually he gives us all constants that might be needed in the answer. But we need to know that distance between the plates here don't we?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

he asks by what fraction the capacitance is increased so the distance will cancel out.

He also asks about E, D, and P. I am pretty sure we will see a d in the answer (where d is the distance between the capacitors).

Another question. Do we know that the dielectric does not affect the electric field in the vacuum regions between the plates i.e. is the E-field in those regions E_{vac}?

Last edited:

What is Griffiths E&M?

Griffiths E&M, or Griffiths Electrodynamics, is a textbook on electrodynamics written by David J. Griffiths. It is commonly used in undergraduate and graduate courses in physics and engineering.

What is Plate Distance?

Plate distance refers to the distance between two parallel conducting plates in a capacitor. It is an important factor in determining the capacitance and electric field between the plates.

Why do I need help with Plate Distance?

Many students struggle with understanding the concept of plate distance and its role in determining the behavior of a capacitor. Seeking help can improve your understanding and performance in electromagnetism.

How do I calculate Plate Distance?

Plate distance can be calculated using the equation d = C/(εA), where d is the distance between the plates, C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the material between the plates, and A is the area of the plates.

What are some common misconceptions about Plate Distance?

One common misconception is that the distance between the plates is the only factor affecting the capacitance. In reality, the area of the plates and the permittivity of the material between them also play a significant role. Another misconception is that increasing the plate distance will always decrease the capacitance, when in fact this relationship depends on the other variables in the equation.