1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Griffiths 4.19

1. Mar 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question refers to Griffiths E and M book.

I am confused about what the answer should be in terms of. Usually he gives us all constants that might be needed in the answer. But we need to know that distance between the plates here don't we?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I haven't looked at the problem, but maybe the answer doesn't depend on it. You can just introduce a variable for it (like, call the distance d) and see if it cancels out in the final answer.
  4. Mar 18, 2008 #3

he asks by what fraction the capacitance is increased so the distance will cancel out.
  5. Mar 18, 2008 #4
    He also asks about E, D, and P. I am pretty sure we will see a d in the answer (where d is the distance between the capacitors).

Another question. Do we know that the dielectric does not affect the electric field in the vacuum regions between the plates i.e. is the E-field in those regions E_{vac}?
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?