1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Griffiths 6.5

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] griffiths 6.5

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform current density [itex]\mathbf{J} = J_0 \hat{\mathbf{z}}[/itex] fills a slab straddling the yz plane x=-a to x=+a. Find the magnetic field inside the slab.
    This is part of Griffiths Problem 6.5.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\nabla \times \mathbf{B} = \mu_0 \mathbf{J}[/tex]
    [tex]\int \mathbf{B} \cdot d\mathbf{l} = \mu_0 I_{enc}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first need to find the direction of B. What can I use to do that? The right-hand corkscrew rule does not seem to help here!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure it does. Why do you think it doesn't?
  4. Apr 29, 2008 #3
    The right-hand corkscrew rule gives you the B-field around a wire. How do you use it to get the B-field of a slab? Why do you think it does help?
  5. Apr 29, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would approach this question by first noting that,

And then using the differential form of Faraday's law,

[tex]\text{curl}\left(\underline{E}\right) = -\frac{\partial\underline{B}}{\partial t}[/tex]
  6. Apr 29, 2008 #5
    Wait, but that is not always true. What makes you think Ohm's law applies here?
  7. Apr 29, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong question.

The direction of the magnetic field can definitely be found using the RH 'corkscrew' rule, as you would for a wire. Take your right-hand and place your thumb in the direction of the current density, your curling fingers indicate the direction of the magnetic field.
  8. Apr 29, 2008 #7
    OK. But in the case of the wire the B-field is circumferential. Why is it not circumferential here? Obviously there will be some cancellation here...but how do we know that after all the cancellation is done the B-field will only be in the y-direction?
  9. Apr 29, 2008 #8
    Never mind. In Griffith's Example 5.8, he proved that the magnetic field of an infinite uniform surface current [itex]K\hat{\mathbf{x}}[/itex] flowing over the xy plane produces a magnetic field that is only in the y-direction. This is just a stack of those! We can replace x by z here due to symmetry I think.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?