Griffith's Electrodynamics 6.8

In summary, the cylinder has a magnetization of ks^2\hat{\phi} and produces a magnetic field of J_{b}=-3ks\hat{z}.
monkeykoder

Homework Statement

A long cylinder of radius R carries a magnetization [tex]\vec{M}=Ks^{2}\hat{\phi}[/tex] where k is a constant, s is the distance from the axis, and [tex]\hat{\phi}[/tex] is the usual azimuthal unit vector. Find the magnetic field due to [tex]\vec{M}[/tex] for points inside and outside the cylinder.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{J}_{b}=\nabla\times\vec{M}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{K}_{b}=\vec{M}\times\hat{n}[/tex]
Formula for the Vector potential That I can't seem to get to work in tex

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\vec{J}_{b}=3k\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}\hat{z}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{K}_{b}=3k(x^{2}+y^{2})\hat{z}[/tex]

Truthfully my biggest annoyance right now is formulating the separation vector (I know I'm lame) then a little plug and chug and I'm done but I wouldn't mind someone checking my work (probably wrong...)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're told that it is a cylinder, why are you using Cartesian coordinates?

[tex]
\vec{J}_b=\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{M}=\frac{1}{s}\,\frac{\partial}{\partial s}\left(s\,ks^2\right)\hat{z}=3ks\hat{z}[/tex]

Similarly for [itex]\vec{K}_b[/itex]:

[tex]\vec{K}_b=\vec{M}\times\hat{n}=-kR^2\hat{z}[/tex]

You can then use Ampere's Law to find the magnetic field.

Last edited:
You might want to double check your bound surface current. Also, try to keep everything in cylindrical coordinates. Also, Ampere's law will be real useful for this problem.

EDIT: Seems jdwood983 beat me to it :(

nickjer said:
You might want to double check your bound surface current. Also, try to keep everything in cylindrical coordinates. Also, Ampere's law will be real useful for this problem.

EDIT: Seems jdwood983 beat me to it :(

Don't have Ampere's law to work with and not allowed to use cylindrical coordinates for some reason.

Does it specifically say you can't use either of those? And what kind of question uses cylindrical coords and asks you afterwards not to use them.

Ampere's law for polarized objects is about 3 sections ahead of where the problem is located in the book (not that that would usually stop me...).

I have griffith's and Ampere's law can be found in section 5.3.3. Long before your problem.

This problem is very similar to a long straight current carrying wire. Except the current density is radially dependent and you have a negative surface current.

If I'm not mistaken there is some reason not to use that statement of ampere's law in cases of magnetization.

If you are determined not to use Ampere's law (which I advise against) then you will have to use the Biot-Savart law. But you will just end up with the same answer.

I'm pretty sure if I were allowed to use it in cases of magnetization there wouldn't be a section "6.3.1 Ampere's Law in Magnetized Materials"

Well you aren't using H when solving for Ampere's law in this problem. When applying Ampere's law for this problem you only worry about bound currents and treat it as the total current. But as I said before you can always use the Biot-Savart law, just be very careful when solving it.

Well I see what you mean since there is a problem in 6.3 that is roughly the same and asks you to solve it using the method in 6.2 for part (a) and using Ampere's law for part (b). I seriously don't think you will be deducted points for using ampere's law early. But you can always solve the magnetic fields using integrals just in case. Just be very careful :)

1. What is Griffith's Electrodynamics 6.8?

Griffith's Electrodynamics 6.8 is a textbook written by physicist David J. Griffiths. It is a comprehensive guide to the principles and applications of classical electrodynamics.

2. Who is David J. Griffiths?

David J. Griffiths is a renowned physicist and author, known for his contributions to quantum mechanics and electrodynamics. He is a professor at Reed College and has written several widely used textbooks in physics.

3. What topics does Griffith's Electrodynamics 6.8 cover?

Griffith's Electrodynamics 6.8 covers a wide range of topics including electrostatics, magnetostatics, electromagnetic waves, and relativity. It also includes discussions on the properties of conductors and dielectrics, as well as applications in circuits and optics.

4. Is Griffith's Electrodynamics 6.8 suitable for beginners?

While Griffith's Electrodynamics 6.8 is a comprehensive and well-respected textbook, it is not recommended for beginners. It assumes a strong background in calculus and mechanics, and is typically used in upper-level undergraduate or graduate courses.

5. How can Griffith's Electrodynamics 6.8 be used in research?

Griffith's Electrodynamics 6.8 is a valuable resource for researchers in the field of electrodynamics. It provides a thorough understanding of the fundamental principles and equations, and also includes numerous examples and exercises for practical applications. Many researchers use it as a reference for theoretical calculations and experimental design in their work.