Why Does Rho_b Blow Up (Griffiths Pg. 176)

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Griffiths
In summary, GIII says that the charge density on the surface of a dielectric blows up because it is continuously different from the charge density below.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] Griffiths page 176

Homework Statement

Below example 4.4, Griffiths says "We cannot apply Gauss's law precisely at the surface of a dielectric, for rho_b blows up..."

Why does rho_b blow up?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

That sentence is a bit convoluted, but G is probably referring to bound surface charge density, which corresponds to infinite volume charge density.
If a discussion in GIII confuses you, go back to GI, which has less of that confusing help.

Hello ehrenfest,it is an interesting question and I wonder if I myself understood this point while I read this section a year or two ago.

The problem is with the definition of [tex]\rho_b=\ - \ div \ P [/tex] and [tex]\sigma_b=\ P.n[/tex].UNDERSTAND that P is determined by [tex]\sigma_b[/tex] and [tex]\rho_b[/tex]

Note that when we say there is a quantity [tex]\rho_b[/tex] and another quantity [tex]\sigma_b[/tex],we generally do not care if there is any sharp boundary between the charge distributions.I mean we do not say upto 0.005 cm below the surface we would call [tex]\sigma_b[/tex] and below that we would call as [tex]\rho_b[/tex]

As Griffiths gives hint the charge density is expected to be gradually fade out toward the boundary.This makes [tex]\rho_b[/tex] a continuous function and hence P is also continuous.POLARIZATION GRADUALLY TAPERS OFF TO ZERO.This exculdes the existence of [tex]\sigma_b[/tex]

But if there were a sharp boundary like I mentioned, polarization P would be discontinuos across that boundary near (on) the surface and by taking the divergence you will get [tex]\rho_b=\infty[/tex].

I hope the problem is now clear to you.

neelakash said:
This exculdes the existence of [tex]\sigma_b[/tex]
I see. So you are saying that a uniformly polarized object of finite size is unphysical.

Last edited:
Not quite. What he's referring to is that any surface charge distribution can be written as a volume charge distribution by means of delta functions. For example, the surface charge density of a uniformly charged sphere can be written

[tex]\rho(r, \theta, \phi) = \frac{Q}{4\pi a^2}\delta(r - a)[/tex]

Naturally, this function blows up on the surface itself, just as the charge density (and divergence of E) blows up at a point charge.

Not quite. What he's referring to is that any surface charge distribution can be written as a volume charge distribution by means of delta functions.

I meant not exactly this,but like this.Refer to Griffiths problem 1.45 (b).The derivative of a step function is a delta function.Likewise If there is a distinguishable sharp boundary like between core and cover (jacket) of a body,rho_b must blow up.

In reality you might have a uniform polarized object.But do not be too obsessed with the distinction of rho_b and sigma_b---they are the different faces of the SAME distribution and is not different like core and cover (jacket).

1. Why does Rho_b blow up in Griffiths Pg. 176?

Rho_b, also known as the baryon density parameter, is a measure of the density of baryonic matter in the universe. It is defined as the ratio of the actual baryon density to the critical density needed for the universe to be flat. In Griffiths Pg. 176, it is shown that Rho_b blows up at high redshifts, which is due to the decreasing temperature and density of the universe as it expands.

2. What is the significance of Rho_b blowing up?

The blow up of Rho_b has important implications for the evolution of the universe. It marks a transition to a time when baryonic matter dominates the energy density of the universe, as opposed to dark matter or radiation. This is known as the era of matter domination and is a critical stage in the development of the universe.

3. How does Rho_b blowing up affect the expansion of the universe?

The blow up of Rho_b leads to a decrease in the expansion rate of the universe. This is because baryonic matter has a positive pressure, which opposes the gravitational pull of matter and slows down the expansion. As Rho_b continues to increase, the expansion rate will eventually reach a maximum and then begin to slow down.

4. Is Rho_b the only factor that affects the expansion of the universe?

No, Rho_b is not the only factor that affects the expansion of the universe. There are other parameters, such as the density of dark matter and the cosmological constant, that also play a role in the expansion. However, Rho_b is an important factor as it represents the dominant form of matter in the universe at high redshifts.

5. How is Rho_b calculated and measured?

Rho_b is calculated using data from various cosmological observations, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the large-scale structure of the universe. It is also measured using techniques such as galaxy surveys and gravitational lensing. These measurements allow scientists to estimate the baryon density and calculate Rho_b, providing valuable insights into the evolution of the universe.