1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Griffiths Problem 3.15

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question refers to Griffiths E and M book.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Obviously this is a 3D problem and we should use Example 3.5 as a model. However, since the region of interest is bounded in all 3 directions doesn't that mean that all of C_1, C_2, and C_3 need to be negative? But then C_1+C_2+C_3=0 is impossible! The constants C_i that I am referring to are on page 135.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2008 #2

[tex]\nabla^2 V = 0[/tex]

After separation of variables:

[tex]\frac{1}{F}\frac{d^2 F}{dx^2} + \frac{1}{G}\frac{d^2 G}{dy^2} + \frac{1}{H}\frac{d^2 H}{dz^2} = 0[/tex]

Argument: How can a function of x and y and z added together be zero always?
  4. Mar 11, 2008 #3
    That is my point! If
    [tex]\frac{1}{F}\frac{d^2 F}{dx^2}=C_1[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{1}{G}\frac{d^2 G}{dy^2}=C_2[/tex]
    [tex] \frac{1}{H}\frac{d^2 H}{dz^2} =C_3[/tex]

Then C_1 +C_2+C_3 must be 0 which means that not all the C_i can be negative, which is absurd because we need trig functions not exponentials since the region is bounded in all three directions!?!?
  5. Mar 11, 2008 #4
    Absolutely, positive constants will give the trivial solution.

Why not say -C1-C2-C3=0? Does it really matter whether the constants we make are negative or positive, aren't they allowing the functions to *sum* to zero in either case?
  6. Mar 11, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why not exponentials? It seems like the potential will start at Vo at z = a, then decay (exponentially) down the z axis.
  7. Mar 11, 2008 #6
    Try to apply the boundary conditions to exponentials. It may be easier if you write them in terms of sinh and cosh in this case.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?