1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Griffiths Problem 3.4

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Griffiths Problem 3.4

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the field is uniquelly determined when the charge density rho is given and either V or the normal derivative [itex]\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{n}}[/itex] is specified on each boundary surface. Do not assume the boundaries are conductors, or that V is constant over any given surface.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If you know V on the surface, this is the Corollary to the First Uniqueness Theorem. I don't see how knowing the normal derivative, [itex]\frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{n}}= \nabla{V}\cdot \hat{n}[/itex], helps at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2008 #2
    My guess: probably one of those Stoke's theorems (curl, divergence, gradient) will simplify things.

4. Feb 11, 2008 #3
    The divergence theorem and Poisson's equation tell us that [tex]\int_{S} \nabla V \cdot \hat{n} da = \int_{V}\nabla ^2V d\tau = \int_{V}\rho/\epsilon_0 d\tau [/tex]. We know rho, so we didn't even need the normal derivative to get that integral. Thus, I don't see how the curl, divergence, gradient theorems will help.

5. Feb 11, 2008 #4
    anyone?

6. Feb 11, 2008 #5
    Never mind. I got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?