Solving Griffiths Problem 4.18: Orthogonality of D and E_0

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Griffiths
In summary: I do not know what figure you are referring too. However, in general, the electric displacement is assumed to be orthogonal to the plates, so something similar to Figure 4.21 does apply. Sorry.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] Griffiths Problem 4.18

Homework Statement

This question refers to Griffiths E and M book.

Obviously we are supposed to use equation 4.23 here. But for that to be of any use, we need to assume that the electric displacement is orthogonal to the plates. We are told that the medium is linear, but that only means that [itex]\vec{D} = \epsilon \vec{E} [/itex] where [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] is the total electric field. What we need to assume is that [itex]\vec{D} [/itex] is parallel to [itex] \vec{E_0} [/itex] where [itex] \vec{E_0} [/itex] is the field that would be present if both slabs were removed. You cannot use the analysis below Figure 4.21 to show that because this is definitely a case that Griffiths warns us about in the paragraph above Figure 4.21. Therefore I do not see why [itex]\vec{D} [/itex] and [itex] \vec{E_0} [/itex] are parallel.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

In that problem, the electric displacement is assumed to be orthogonal to the plates. Remember that the analysis of a parallel plate capacitor assumes E is parallel to the the plates, by assuming the plates are infinite. Similar reasoning is done with the displacement here as well.

Check out the paragraph at the bottom of p182 in Griffith's, ending with Eq. 4.35 and 4.36. This explains the reasoning being used in solving this problem.

G01 said:
Check out the paragraph at the bottom of p182 in Griffith's, ending with Eq. 4.35 and 4.36. This explains the reasoning being used in solving this problem.

But that reasoning only applies in the case that Figure 4.21 (or something similar) does not apply. But here we have two slabs of linear dielectric, so it is pretty clear that something similar to Figure 4.21 does apply.

Also, why can we assume that D = 0 inside the metal plate? I do not see why that follows from E = 0. Is it true that there is never a "frozen-in" polarization inside of a conductor?

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
But that reasoning only applies in the case that Figure 4.21 (or something similar) does not apply. But here we have two slabs of linear dielectric, so it is pretty clear that something similar to Figure 4.21 does apply.

Also, why can we assume that D = 0 inside the metal plate? I do not see why that follows from E = 0. Is it true that there is never a "frozen-in" polarization inside of a conductor?

Sorry. I left my Griffith's book in the lab today so I don't know what figure you are referring too.

As for your second question, I think it's safe to assume that for a perfect conductor, which we are talking about here will not have any frozen-in polarization.

You can establish the directions of E, D, and P from symmetry arguments alone:

1. Consider the slabs to be infinite planes (this is the assumption you are making when you ignore fringing effects).

2. A stack of parallel, infinite planes has both rotational and translational symmetry. It is entirely uniform and isotropic in the xy directions.

3. Therefore, any solutions to the problem (be they scalar or vector fields) must possesses the SAME symmetry.

4. The only vector fields possessing this symmetry are those directed along a line perpendicular to the planes.

Therefore, each of E, D, and P is perpendicular to the conducting planes.

Ben Niehoff said:
You can establish the directions of E, D, and P from symmetry arguments alone:

1. Consider the slabs to be infinite planes (this is the assumption you are making when you ignore fringing effects).

2. A stack of parallel, infinite planes has both rotational and translational symmetry. It is entirely uniform and isotropic in the xy directions.

3. Therefore, any solutions to the problem (be they scalar or vector fields) must possesses the SAME symmetry.

4. The only vector fields possessing this symmetry are those directed along a line perpendicular to the planes.

Therefore, each of E, D, and P is perpendicular to the conducting planes.

Why does 3 follow from 2?

Think what the consequences would be if it were not so. I.e., if you could set up two infinite parallel plates, how could you expect that the symmetry would be spontaneously violated in the D field?

Ben Niehoff said:
Think what the consequences would be if it were not so. I.e., if you could set up two infinite parallel plates, how could you expect that the symmetry would be spontaneously violated in the D field?

That's certainly the intuition, but there should be a mathematically rigorous way to prove that. This is the heart of my question and I guess I should have asked this when Griffiths said "by symmetry, E points away from the plane" in Example 2.4. But maybe that is something that is too advanced for Griffiths and that I will learn in Jackson...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_symmetry_breaking

Last edited:
For this particular problem, it is actually enough to know that the two exterior plates are conducting. The E field is always perpendicular to a conducting surface in the vicinity of that surface. Since the dielectrics in this problem are presumed to be homogeneous and linear, then we have

[tex]\vec D = \epsilon \vec E[/tex]

and therefore D is perpendicular to the plates also. That D is vertical all throughout the region of interest then follows from the Laplace equation.

For more general problems, I'm sure there is a proof that the fields must share the symmetries of the charge configuration, but I'm a bit too busy to try to prove it right now.

Ben Niehoff said:
For this particular problem, it is actually enough to know that the two exterior plates are conducting. The E field is always perpendicular to a conducting surface in the vicinity of that surface. Since the dielectrics in this problem are presumed to be homogeneous and linear, then we have

[tex]\vec D = \epsilon \vec E[/tex]

and therefore D is perpendicular to the plates also. That D is vertical all throughout the region of interest then follows from the Laplace equation.

For more general problems, I'm sure there is a proof that the fields must share the symmetries of the charge configuration, but I'm a bit too busy to try to prove it right now.

But
[tex]\vec E_{vac} \neq \vec E[/tex]

All we know is that [tex]\vec E_{vac} [/tex] is perpendicular to the conducting surface. We want to show that [tex]\vec E [/tex] is as well. Anyway, it does seem intuitive and I understand that you are busy. I'll just mark this as solved and leave the mathematical proof as a black box for now.

What is Griffiths Problem 4.18 and why is it important?

Griffiths Problem 4.18 is a problem from the textbook "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths. It deals with the concept of orthogonality between the electric displacement field (D) and the electric field (E0). This problem is important because it helps us understand the relationship between these two fundamental quantities in electromagnetism.

What is orthogonality and why is it important in physics?

Orthogonality is a mathematical concept where two vectors or functions are perpendicular to each other. In physics, orthogonality is important because it allows us to break down complex problems into simpler components and makes it easier to analyze physical systems. It also helps us understand the relationship between different quantities and their effects on each other.

How do you solve Griffiths Problem 4.18?

To solve Griffiths Problem 4.18, we first need to understand the concept of orthogonality and the properties of the electric displacement and electric fields. Then, we can use mathematical equations and principles, such as the dot product and Gauss's law, to derive the relationship between D and E0. Finally, we can apply this relationship to solve the problem by finding the values of D and E0 that satisfy the given conditions.

What are some real-world applications of orthogonality between D and E0?

The concept of orthogonality between D and E0 is applicable in many areas of physics and engineering, such as in the design of antennas, electric circuit analysis, and electromagnetic wave propagation. It is also important in understanding the behavior of dielectric materials and their effects on electric fields.

What are some tips for solving problems involving orthogonality between D and E0?

Some tips for solving problems involving orthogonality between D and E0 include understanding the fundamental concepts and equations, breaking down the problem into simpler components, and using appropriate mathematical techniques. It is also helpful to practice solving similar problems to improve problem-solving skills and gain a better understanding of the concept.