1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Griffiths Quantum 2.51

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Griffiths Quantum 2.51

This is problem 2.51 from Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, 2nd ed. p89.

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the potential

[tex]V(x) = -\frac{\hbar^2 a^2}{m}sech^2(a x)[/tex]

where [itex]a[/itex] is a positive constant, and "sech" stands for the hyperbolic secant.

a) Graph this potential.

b) Check that this potential has the ground state

[tex]\psi_0(x) = A sech(a x)[/tex]

and find its energy. Normalize [itex]\psi_0[/itex], and sketch its graph.

c) Show that the function

[tex] \psi_k(x) = A\left(\frac{i k - a tanh(a x)}{i k + a}\right)e^{i k x} [/tex]

(where [itex] k = \sqrt{2 m E}/\hbar [/itex] as usual) solves the Schr\ddot{o}dinger equation for any (positive) energy [itex] E [/itex]. Since [itex] tanh z \rightarrow -1 [/itex] as [itex] z \rightarrow -\infty[/itex],

[tex] \psi_k(x) \approx A e^{i k x} [/tex], for large negative x.

This represents, then, a wave coming in from the left with no accompanying reflected wave (i.e., no term exp(-ikx)). What is the asymptotic form of [itex]\psi_k(x)[/itex] at large positive [itex]x[/itex]? What are R and T, for this potential? Comment: This is a famous example of a reflectionless potential - every incident particle, regardless of its energy, passes right through.

The attempt at a solution

Part a is easy, just draw the graph, intersecting the y axis at -\frac{\hbar^2 a^2}{m}.

Part b is a little more difficult. I can show that it is a solution, but I'm not sure how to guarantee that it's the ground state. With that potential, I get that

[tex] \hat H\psi_0 = -\frac{\hbar^2 a^2}{2 m} \psi_0[/tex]

If this result was the same as the minimum potential, I could say for certain that it's the ground state.

And for the normalization constant I get

[tex] A = \sqrt{\frac{a}{2}} [/tex]

Part c I don't have much clue for. I tried just putting the hamiltonian into mathematica with that wave function, to see what it gives me, but it didn't give me anything that I can see looks like the RHS of the equation, any suggestions on how to go about part c would be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Part b: do you recall any paricular property that the ground state wave function always has for any potential (in one dimension), and that no excited-state wave function has?

Part c: plug in and grind should work to show that it is a solution.

4. Sep 6, 2007 #3
    The lowest energy?

Ok, I'll try it again and write back here later/tomorrow.

5. Sep 6, 2007 #4
    The fact that it has no nodes guarantees that it's the ground state?

6. Sep 6, 2007 #5

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Bingo!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?