Solving for Griffiths torque on a dipole

In summary, Griffiths discusses the torque on a dipole in his E and M book. He first calculates the torque for a finite dipole in a uniform electric field, then considers the limit as the dipole becomes infinitesimal. The only issue is defining the vector for an infinitesimal dipole, but if defined as the limit of "q d", the calculation is valid.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] Griffiths torque on a dipole

Homework Statement

This question refers to Griffiths E and M book.

In the sentence after equation 4.5, Griffiths says the following:

"For a perfect dipole of infinitesimal length, Eq 4.4 gives the torque about the center of the dipole..."

What is driving me insane is that I thought eqn 4.4 was true precisely when the dipole was finite since they say nothing about d being an infinitesimal there and the vector d sure does not look like an infinitesimal in Figure 4.5? I was sure that eqn 4.4 applied only for physical dipoles before I read that sentence! What is wrong here! Please help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement

This question refers to Griffiths E and M book.

In the sentence after equation 4.5, Griffiths says the following:

"For a perfect dipole of infinitesimal length, Eq 4.4 gives the torque about the center of the dipole..."

What is driving me insane is that I thought eqn 4.4 was true precisely when the dipole was finite since they say nothing about d being an infinitesimal there and the vector d sure does not look like an infinitesimal in Figure 4.5? I was sure that eqn 4.4 applied only for physical dipoles before I read that sentence! What is wrong here! Please help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What he does is to do the calculation for a finite [itex] \vec{d} [/itex] in a uniform E field and then consider the limit as d becomes infinitesimal. There is nothing wrong with doing it this way. The only thing is that for an infinitesimal dipole, the product [itex] q \vec{d} [/itex] is not well-defined. But if you introduce a vector [itex] \vec{p} [/itex] for an infinitesimal dipole, then eq 4.5 is completely fine. So the only subtle point i sthe definition of the vector p for a perfet dipole. If it is defined as the infinitesimal limit of the vector "q d" then the whole procedure is well-defined.

What is Griffiths torque on a dipole?

Griffiths torque on a dipole refers to the torque experienced by an electric dipole in an external electric field. It is a measure of the rotational force exerted on the dipole due to the interaction between its electric dipole moment and the external field.

How is Griffiths torque on a dipole calculated?

Griffiths torque on a dipole can be calculated using the formula T = p x E, where T is the torque, p is the electric dipole moment, and E is the external electric field. This formula is derived from the cross product of the dipole moment and the electric field vector.

What factors affect Griffiths torque on a dipole?

The magnitude of Griffiths torque on a dipole depends on the strength of the external electric field, the magnitude of the dipole moment, and the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field vector. It also depends on the orientation of the dipole in the field.

How does Griffiths torque on a dipole relate to dipole moment?

Griffiths torque on a dipole is directly proportional to the magnitude of the dipole moment. This means that a stronger dipole moment will experience a greater torque in an external electric field.

What is the significance of Griffiths torque on a dipole in physics?

Griffiths torque on a dipole is an important concept in physics as it helps to explain the behavior of electric dipoles in an external field. It is also used in various applications, such as in the design of electric motors and generators.