1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grignard reagent

1. Dec 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (see attachment)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    One of Br should be replaced by MgBr but the answer key states that its wrong. I can't think of anything else. :confused:

Seems like I need to do something with alkyne.
    Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

Write it as Br--Mg--R-. Does R- rings a bell? What does the answer key suggests anyway?

4. Dec 7, 2012 #3
    Thanks AGNuke for the help! :smile:
    The answer key suggests that its an allene.
    If i write it as R-, I do get near to the answer but yet i can't seem to make the final compound. See attachment for my attempt. The negative charge and pi bonds form a conjugated system so there will be resonance.

Attached Files:

5. Dec 7, 2012 #4

AGNuke

Gold Member

What about that negative charge attacking CH2 and Br exiting? I am sure you would get CH2=C=C=CH2. As a matter of fact. It is a method to prepare otherwise hard to prepare cumulene.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  6. Dec 7, 2012 #5
    I still don't get it. :uhh:

Care to explain a bit more.

7. Dec 8, 2012 #6

AGNuke

Gold Member

Lets number the C-atoms in the diagram. The C-atom attached with Br-Mg be 1 and that last atom attached with Br be 4.

There are lone pair on C-3. They can act as a nuclophile and can attack C-4. On C-4, lone pairs from C-3 are coming and Br is going. This is SNi. And we get Butatriene.

8. Dec 9, 2012 #7
    How is it SNi? As far as I remember, this mechanism is found only during the reaction of R-OH with SOCl2 and there is one more reaction where this mechanism is found but it is definitely not related to what you have said. I think its related to Neighbouring Group participation but I would like to confirm it.

9. Dec 9, 2012 #8

AGNuke

Gold Member

Substitution Nucleophilic Internal. It is also linked to many forms of NGP.

10. Dec 11, 2012 #9
    I know what's the meaning of SNi but I can't agree with you until you give me some references.

11. Dec 11, 2012 #10

AGNuke

Gold Member

Wikipedia?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook